Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stentor Material Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Milothicus, Mar 27, 2003.

1. The local Long and McQuade shipped in a stentor student model bass for me to try. i couldn't play it when i went in because it had been shipped with the bridge down and soundpost out.... but i got to see it.... so i came home and found stentor's webpage. carved front, laminated ribs and back. no mention of any ebony...... so i emailed them.

fingerboard is blackened kuntian. an asian wood "somewhat similar to rosewood". any experience with this?

the tailpiece is stained hardwood.

the price on the bass with bow and bag (which, according to one employee is a $250 dollar gig bag) is $1595 canadian. this puts it at just over $1000 US.

should this material issue (decent band, by the way) turn me away from this bass? i've had trouble finding any basses at all in this area in my price range, so i'm hesitant to turn it down because of this....

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
  3. right.........but does the lack of ebony make it a dangerous purchase?

4. A lot depends on strings and how you play it. There are a few threads on this somewhere that will tell you more. I think the general consensus is that slap players definitely need ebony unless they enjoy regularily shelling out cash for a fingerboard plane job.

Steve

5. I'll be playing mainly jazz. mostly pizz, i expect.... so it's ok for that then?

6. i did search. a search for kuntian brought up nothing. i don't know what to do about this........i want the bass, but don't want to be left with a bass needing $500 worth of repairs in 2 years.......

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    There is a DB shop in Toronto. It is around the intersection of Church and Queen. (right around all the pawnshops) I will have to try to find the name though.