1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stentor or Strunal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gonniff, Oct 19, 2006.

1. gonniff

gonniff

Oct 15, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    I've been trying to sort out a DB for a couple of weeks and have basically come down to this:

I can afford to spend about £1,000 on a DB. I have played a Stentor (I reckon it was a Stentor II as it's not a Conservatoire) and it was ok.

The guy at the shop wants £750 for it, bow, and an upgraded gig bag from the one Stentor supplies.

I'd really like to play a Strunal 5/21w as that is the bass pictured here:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_2_m_34.htm

(This was confirmed to me by Strunal themselves).

It looks great and I've heard lots of positive comments about Strunals.

But after calling around a few shops I was told that the Stentors were good value for the money and that unless I was willing to spend about £2,500-3,000 on an instrument that was as good as it was going to get.

I'm hesitant to order from Thomann because I've been advised that DB's don't travel well with shipping companies (let's face it, they could care less if it gets stomped on) and that there was a high chance of it being damaged when it arrived.

I can't find anyone between me (Bristol) and London who has any Strunals at all in stock.

What's the vibe in the community? There must be some experienced players out there with preferences between the two for the price.

Which is it? Stentor or Strunal?

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I have a Strunal laminate, Model 50/4.

I spent about $200 in a set-up, new adjustable bridge and replaced end-pin.

Made a big difference in sound and playablity.

I'm very happy with it and I believe for the money Strunals are a good value.

I also believe they have lowered their prices, at least here in the US.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I bought a Stentor Elysia (all carved Maple and Spruce with Ebony fingerbvoard etc.)and have been very happy with it - as you say, in Britain I haven't found anything under £5,000 to compare - I've never seen a Strunal in Britain and have never had a chance to try one!

I'd be interested if they are selling in Britain ...?

4. I love my Strunal 5/35, she sounds and plays great. The price is great too, she has paid for herself and a new fingerboard, bridge, many sets of strings. IMHO you can't get a better bass for the price.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think the point is that, as goniff says - if you don't want to take the risk of shipping from abroad, then Strunals are just not an option for us in Britain!

6. Great! Thanks for playing Bruce.

7. Bruce Lindfield

I was just answering the questions asked (see above) - i.e. that basically you are not going to be able to try a Strunal in Britain - they just don't exist here!

No it seems there are only US-based people who have tried Strunals and not Stentors, or vice versa for Brits! ;)

8. gonniff

gonniff

Oct 15, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    Guys,

I really appreciate your input.

Now I've got a new bass in the mix.

I came across some postings about a Romanian company called Gliga. All the reviews (for violins at least) were super complimentary and all have said that for the money you can't beat the value.

Having said that, I've contacted a luthier in Maidenhead that I found and asked his advice and he said they were all poorly made (the violins) and were to be avoided.

Does anyone know anything about these instruments? Or is it just that he's only ever seen their bottom end instruments and so has a poor opinion.

I say this because I have a Stentor Conservatoire violin that is ok, but has too much wood in it and has a really strident tone. Not a bad instrument for £220, but I'd dearly like to have something better.

I've seen that the Conservatoire basses are around £1,000 and have seen good reviews for these, but then, you never know the motivation for reviews, do you?

If anyone can shed light on the Gligas it would be greatly appreciated. Am still hopeful I might find a Strunal to play.

9. Bruce Lindfield

I think you need to have a look at this thread :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171375

Which has a long discussion about the DBs available in the UK - I spent about 2-3 years trying to find one and I'm not going to repeat all of that - i.e. type all of it in again!! ;)

10. Noir

Noir

Mar 14, 2006
    I have never heard anything bad about Gliga. I have one of their violas and it's a fantastic instrument.

I think they're better made than Strunals, with more attention to details and setup, but I can't compare to Stentors, as I have never seen one of their instruments.

If you're in the UK, you can try contacting Elida Trading http://www.elidatrading.co.uk/, I think they have both Strunals and Gliga and could give you their opinion.
    I don't think they have double basses in stock though.

Well, good to see you're patiently researching anyway.

11. Bruce Lindfield

12. gonniff

gonniff

Oct 15, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    Bruce, Noir

Thanks. I'll have a read of the threads referenced (sorry, that was pretty boneheaded of me not to do a search of the archives - although I did have a read of the "first things to read" threads when I signed up).

Noir, I've been in touch with Elida and they seem like good people. And I think Gliga is the way to go for me. They look like lovely instruments and have good rep from everything I've heard. I'm just a bit nervous about sinking money into an instrument and then finding I've bought a lemon, so thanks for everyone's patience.

13. Bruce Lindfield

I think the problem is that they sell other instruments - but not DBs in Britain...?

Oh and avoid any instrument that says "Ebonised" fingerboard!! ;)

14. gonniff

gonniff

Oct 15, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    Bruce,

Elida in Huddersfield can get me a Gliga. It would be sent to Manchester and they would pick it up from the airport.

I called and spoke to Liz (very nice and friendly person) and she said that since I live near Bristol they would be happy to bring it down halfway after they had checked it out to make sure it had arrived safe and sound.

This would be the instrument I'd be getting:

http://www.gliga.ro/Gliga_N/enlarge_St2.4.2.html

And if anyone is interested (in the UK) here are the current prices for what they can get (in my general price range):

Genial laminated £1000
    Genial 2 solid top £1075
    Genial 2 all solid £1150
    Genial 1 solid top £1150
    Genial 1 all solid £1225
    Gems 2 £1300 (all Gems are all solid wood)
    Gems 1 flat back £1650
    Gems 1 carved back £2000

Any feedback on a French-style instrument (as this would be) appreciated. Tone, volume, sustain, etc.

Thanks

15. Bruce Lindfield

16. Noir

Noir

Mar 14, 2006
    Are you saying you can get an english made solid bass for £1300?

17. Bruce Lindfield

18. gonniff

gonniff

Oct 15, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    Noir,

Sure, it's possible. But then you're back to the old question, "but what do each of these sound like".

I just keep being drawn back to the Gligas (unless you really come down hard for the Stentors, Bruce?).

19. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I've never tried Gliga - but if you read the thread I linked to - you will see that people who have tried my bass have been impressed and there are other TB'rs who own them and are very happy!

My teacher only suggested I replace the endpin and I bought new strings.

20. Bruce Lindfield