Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jacoproud, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Hi,
    I just did a search for Stentor Double basses on the forums and came up with nothing. Does anyone know anything about them and if they are worth checking out as a student bass for mainly Jazz playing? (I think mainly make basses for orchestral playing).

The student bass is 1500 pounds (2,360.82 USD).

2. I have a Stentor "Busetto" copy:

I've been really happy with it - fully carved, great looking bass, and the sound is incredible for a relatively inexpensive (~$6k) bass. I did have some extra work done on it - I thought the metal plates on the cheeks of the scroll masked the nice flamed pattern in the wood, so I had single tuners fitted. The bass was bought from a local luthier (NE USA) who had a couple of them imported from the UK (originally from China). The bass is extremely well-made and I love the sound it makes, and it's very pretty to boot...

I'm not familiar with Stentor's other models.

Hope this helps -

Good Luck -
    - Wil
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nice looking bass, Wil. Busetto corners have always kind of freaked me out, but it struck me as I was looking at your pics that they'd be great for my new "neo-cello" way of sitting, where my right knee sticks through the bout on the bass side. Right now, I've got bruises all over my knee from the corners. Also, where did you find the tuners?
  4. Hey, WILL:
    Nice lookin bass You´ve got. As to Pizzgerald, Busetto corners look kinda weird to me, too. One reason might be that there are practically no basses here with them, so I never saw one live or played one.
    After seeing your bass pics, I poked further in to Your homepage, and noticed that You play with a guy named Jim Kangas. `Cause it´s a Finnish name, it would be just fun to know if he has any relationship to the Old Country.