1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Step Fathers, new question/update.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    They got married today, kinda eloped, it was nice and low key (Mom's something borrowed was my blue chucks and I did my bride's maid's duty in my CA tour shirt.)
    I'm going to have a father for father's day this year. Of course I already have plans to be traveling during father's day, so I'm not sure what to do. Mom said when I got accepted to university he started talking about how he was going to help us pay for it. Mom thought it would be good if we got him a "Father of a ____ student" coffee mug. Is that good? do you think it's enough?

2. Yes, I do. One year my step-daighter got me a "OHSU Dad" t-shirt and bumper-sticker and I was very happy with those.

OHSU is Oregon Health Sciences University.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Only you can answer the question about it being enough. The single most important part of any gift is the emotion that goes with it, whether it be a simple card or a $10,000 watch.

4. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    BS. You know you want that watch :p lol jk.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Well, duh! ;)

6. blastoff99

blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I think any gift that comes from your heart will be great.

7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    That will largely depend on the relationship.. I have a Footsteps coffee mug that is on my desk right now that my "step" daughter gave me.. for Father's Day more than a decade ago.. Her mother and I have been married for 23 years and she was 8 when we met.. I could not love her more had I cut her cord myself.. Her biological father and I both walked her down the aisle.. but I was the one who gave her away.. It all depends on the love behind it and the nature of the relationship..

8. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    from the heart...yeah, I suck at heartfelt things, I'd just get him a two pound bag of his favorite candy.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    They say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach...

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    No, it's through the ribcage.

11. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Anything that says father, dad, or like it is enough, was always enough for me. Glad its going well.

12. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    If you really want to leave an impact you should go though the back.

13. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Well this took a left turn ,, yikes! Lol

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Only give a gift like that if you mean it.

My kids were much younger than you are when I became their stepfather. They embraced the idea of me being "dad" quickly so it meant a lot to me when they gave me gifts calling me dad.

-Mike