Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Step Phaser effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lockout, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Over the past few days, I've been thinking about selling my Boss VF-1 rack multi-effects processor. After doing quite a bit of experimenting with it, I've noticed that it's only really got one sound effect that I like and actually have a use for, which, in my opinion, makes it not worth keeping.

This effect is the guitar effect preset entitled "Step Phaser." I really like the way it sounds on bass, but I'd like to find an analog pedal that could make the same effect so I could part with my VF-1 more easily. :)

I've heard that the Boss PH-3 can do this effect, which obviously makes sense considering they're both Boss effect units. :)

But I've also heard that the PH-3 takes out quite a bit of low end, so I was wondering, could anyone suggest any other pedals that can create this sound while keeping the lows? Or should the PH-3 be fine?

Note: For those of you who don't know what the "Step Phaser" effect sounds like, I've included a short clip below. Please excuse the bad recording. ;)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sounds more like a ring modulator or a seek wah than a phaser for me.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a PH-3 and think it sounds good. I wouldn't say it robs my tone of lows. Oddly, mine is a little noisy, though a friend of mine says his is dead quiet.

I recommend the Boss PH-3, though you should try it before you buy it.

4. You could try the Studio Electronics Modmax Phaser
    there are about 10 knobs on the pedal.
    I don't know if you can do the effect you're looking for with it, but it looks worthy!
    Check it out!

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    mine is a bit noisy also... :meh:

Alex

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Thanks guys.

I just noticed that the Step Phaser effect on the VF-1 adds a hint of distortion, so for the effect I want, imagine the above recording but without that bit of distortion. It still retains that same type of sound, just clearer.

Looks like I'll need to find a place where I can try out the PH-3, I wish Mars was still open so I could try it out there. :(

btw, about the Modmax phaser... that's a crazy-lookin' pedal, but it's quite a bit out of my pricerange. :p

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mines dead quiet too.