1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Step-up Tranformer for European Eden TN501?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J0e3gan, Jan 12, 2021.

1. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    I would like to use my Eden TN501 amp head in a fixed location at home (i.e. no gigging), but the unit I have is the European variant and only accepts 220-240v 50/60 Hz AC power. It does not appear to be switchable or flexible to accept 110-120v 60 Hz AC power, which is all I presently have.

I am not ready to have an electrician dedicate an outlet to 220v gear and do not want to sell the Eden or see it sit unused. So I am trying to instead find a good step-up transformer I can use for the Eden and possibly some other lower-power 220v gear in time.

A good step-up transformer is proving to be a challenge, though. Most of the step-up transformers I see as a US customer seem like junk, a roll of the dice at best, or suspiciously pricey.

Kriëger's units (e.g. ULT1700 Voltage Transformers | Krieger Electric) seem to be pretty well regarded. Reviewers on Amazon appear to be happily using them with 220v studio monitors and a 220v guitar amp (Runs quiet and stays cool and Just what you want, Solid, Quiet and Works Perfectly respectively); but there are reviewers who complain they aren't very quiet or report other problems with them like with nearly all the brands I have shopped so far, and $150 to $220 is a lot of money to spend on a guess. ACUPWR units seem good but priced even higher for their power ratings, which I can't yet justify except with ACUPWR's claims that all its competitors (including Kriëger) exclusively make shoddy crap. Bronson++ units sold in Europe (e.g. https://bronson-energy.com/product/bronson-ti-2000/) appear to fit my needs perfectly in that they are specifically designed for studio use and seem reasonably priced; but apparently I cannot get one shipped to me in the US (per email feedback from Bronson Energy and notice from amazon.de).

Can someone speak from experience to a brand of step-up transformers that I can buy with confidence for my needs? Also, considering how different brands recommend sizing a step-up transformer differently, I would appreciate any accompanying guidance on sizing.

Please be gentle with this first-time poster, long-time reader. I have scoured other posts and the web generally for confidence-inspiring direction and simply have not found it, so I am hoping some of you can help. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The back of the amp says power requirements are 600W. I suggest you get at least a 1000W transformer as it's good to have a bit of headroom. This will be safer for the amp and the transformer. A higher wattage is better, but it costs more and results in a larger and heavier package. IMHO if you are just going to be practicing, then 1000W is probably all you need. If you plan to gig and push the amp hard, maybe 1500W would be slightly better....the difference in price is not much. A larger transformer would have less sag...meaning the voltage does not drop under heavy current draw. Also a larger transformer will run cooler.

As far as sizing. Consider the difference in how an amp would draw power versus something that runs continuously like a refrigerator or a hair dryer. Music is dynamic so the duty cycle is lower. In other words the amp might draw 600W occasionally, but the waveform is varying up and down rather than staying continuously at 600W. If you are just practicing at a low volume, the only time the amp will draw a significant amount of power is when you first turn it on.

I searched Amazon for "stepup transformer 1000w" and are lot's of offerings in the $55-$75 range with >4 star ratings. This price is not unreasonable for a new 1K transformer IMHO. When I was stationed in Europe, I paid similar prices for used transformers.

3. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    Thanks for the follow-up guidance generally and re sizing considerations for a bass amp and the Eden TN501 specifically.

Any brands of power-conversion transformers you may have used while stationed overseas that you would expect to run quieter and cooler than a random pick, though? I was interested in a Rockstone unit until I saw some videos on Amazon that showed it buzzing/rattling in use, and the ACUPWR video of a PowerBright unit compared to one of theirs was pretty alarming. Maybe the videos of the Rockstone units were unfair (e.g. the units were being overtaxed), but of course I don't want to trust my Eden or other 220v studio gear down the line to a random brand choice.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Sorry but it's been almost 10 years since I left Europe, so I don't recall anything relevant. I believe the best ones were made in either Germany or UK...brand new they were much more expensive than the prices on Amazon. To some degree it comes down to how much you willing to pay?

The best advice will come from people who are in a similar circumstance to you...few Americans have a reason to use a step up transformer at home. If you are in a job that rotates other Europeans in and out, you may be able to buy used from someone who is about to leave.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Are you sure there isn't an internal jumper to select the US voltage? It's much more cost effective for the manufacturer rather than stocking two different transformers.
    Have you contacted Eden about making the change? Always good to check with the manufacturer.
    North America | EDEN Amplification (edenamps.net)

SirMjac28 and J0e3gan like this.
  6. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    Thanks. I hadn't considered the possibility of an internal jumper but just emailed Eden to ask whether the TN501 has one.

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I have found some posts that say there should be a schematic inside the cover of Eden amps that describes the procedure.

Not all amps have dual voltage PTs though. My GK 700RB does not and my CTM300 does not. So these amps are setup for US voltage only.

For dual US and EU voltage, the primary of the PT must have two windings. For 110-120V the primary windings are wired in parallel. For 220-240 the windings are wired in series.

Some amps have a switch the reconfigures the windings; other amps require you to move taps and jumpers on the PT or some sort of circuit board. If your amp can be configured for US voltage, the current rating of the mains fuse should be changed as well. Use the same type of fuse, but double the current rating.

SirMjac28 and J0e3gan like this.
  8. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    Okay, I just had to know and took a peek, @abarson. :) Right you are it seems. :hyper: See the attached pics of inside my TN501 for what I expect you expected.

I am only familiar with jumpers on PC motherboards, but should it be as simple as jumping those pins to change the input voltage the amp will accept?

Attached Files:

9. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    It's probably moving the jumper on P201 to P200.

J0e3gan likes this.
  10. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    Good point re doubling the fuse amperage regardless how to halve the input voltage, @Wasnex. I don't see a schematic inside the cover of my TN501 but am encouraged by apparently finding the jumper pins that @abarson suspected.

Wasnex likes this.
  11. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    Thanks, @JKos. I don't see a jumper on pins per se, just pins I could jump. I added an additional pic of what I see inside from a different angle to my initial post-check reply to @abarson for clarity.

12. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Look at P201. You would pull that jumper off and put it on P200.

J0e3gan likes this.
  13. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    Looking at this more closely, I suspect the internal power connection to the circuit board needs to change from P100 to P200. Both P100 and P200 are two-pin connectors. The two pins of P100 fit sockets 1 and 3 of the Molex plug coming from the main power leads, whereas the two pins of P200 are closer and would fit into adjacent sockets 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 of the Molex plug. Pin 2 of the Molex plug coming from the main power leads is not wired. I wonder whether that means it would be necessary to change/rewire the Molex connector that terminates the main power leads so it can effectively connect to P200. :eyebrow:

Attached Files:

14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    That sounds much too elaborate.
    The change between P201 to P200 is more in line with @Wasnex description of changing the primary taps. It's merely a looped plug between two pins, opening or closing the contacts.
    Wait to hear back from Eden.

Wasnex and J0e3gan like this.
  15. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    This!!!

Folks have mentioned a transformer. It seems to be a switching power supply, isn't it?

J0e3gan and Wasnex like this.
  16. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    If all else fails, I have a setup transformer from a scientific bench lifespan. It would be a beast to ship and move around. It’s heavy but not large.

J0e3gan likes this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Just whatever you do make sure you don’t let the blue smoke out. Good luck.

J0e3gan likes this.
  18. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    Now this makes sense to me after rereading your comment and looking at the pics I shared again, @JKos. I got stuck on the form I know jumpers to take in PCs (which, duh, would have to be much more substantial here or melt)...and pin 1 of P200 rather than P201, didn't even notice P201 at first. :banghead: Sorry for being so dense. :poop::thumbsup:

Agreed re waiting to hear back from Eden, but I expect they will confirm switching the jumper from P201 to P200 like you said and replacing the fuse with one that's rated for twice the amperage to match like @Wasnex mentioned.

I am very hopeful, obviously asked the right folks about this. :facepalm:

Attached Files:

Wasnex likes this.
  19. J0e3gan

J0e3gan

Apr 17, 2020
    That's very nice of you to mention, @bbh, but I think I am on the path to a solution without a step-up transformer now. I hear ya re small size and serious weight, though. I have a few Tripp Lite buck-boost transformers that come to mind. Awesome that you have a good step-up transformer within reach if you need it or to share with someone who does, though. Thanks!

bbh and Jeff Elkins like this.
  20. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Any time. Here it sits. I have a standard and a highly cleaned and polished, same model.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021