Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stephan Lessard

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LoreBard, Sep 6, 2002.

1. LoreBard

LoreBard

Sep 2, 2002
    Canada
    What do you guys thinks of him?
    He's the Dave Matthews dude, by the way.

2. kauffy

kauffy

Feb 18, 2002
    I happen to like Stephan quite a bit. He is extremely talented and fun to watch as well as listen to. I have read the DMB biography (they are my favorite band) and Stephan was well known as a child prodigy. His range is quite extensive as he is fluent in most styles of music. HE was so good at such a young age that the DMB took him out of his highschool music class to tour at the age of 16.

He has a very jazzy, fluid-funk style groove that I dig a lot.:)

3. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    i love him i'v seen dave twice in concert. Actuly i'm watching the DMB dvd as i write this. He plays such awosme counter melodies

4. LoreBard

LoreBard

Sep 2, 2002
    Canada
    Which songs got his favorite lines for you guys?

5. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    I think that he is very talented, I mean to go start up a band while still in high school (10 years ago) that is one of the most recognizable bands around today. I have never seen him but they have come through Austin several times, but I have heard Under the table and Everyday. I want to get the new album beacuse the producer brought Stefan more out into the forefront.

6. kauffy

kauffy

Feb 18, 2002
    I love most of the stuff he does. He improvises quite a bit though so he doesnt always play the exact same lines. That's something I like a lot. All of their albums are great. You should especially check out any (or all) of their live cd's. Listener Supported is especially cool.

7. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Jeff Ament of PearlJam does that too.

8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    #41 and Crush have my favorite DMB lines.

9. "What would you say" is also pretty sweet...also, the live version of "Last Stop" blows my mind!

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think Before These Crowded Streets is where Fonzy really came out. (Being mixed better also might have something to do with it) Great lines there in Crush, Dreaming Tree, Stay, Rupenzel, and Don't Drink the Water.

I totally respect Fonzy too because if a lot of bassist were in DMB they would just be slapping the **** out of their bass (I would be one of those people slapping too :D ) but Stephan is more interested in coming up with cool finger style grooves.

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    So Much to Say
    The Dreaming Tree
    Drive In Drive Out
    The Stone

Some of his best basslines and fills.

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Are you planning on bumping every DMB-related thread on TB? :)

13. Check out the live version of "All Along the Watchtower", from the Boulder concert cd. Very tasty lines.