Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stephen King

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by page, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Is the Dark Tower series finished yet? I read the first two a while back, then when I learned that it wasnt finished I stopped. Also, is the series better if you read all of the " tie-ins" as well, all of the books that make connections to it? Thanks . Some folks think King is a hack but I love most of his books. Feel free to discuss his books here as well.

2. Yes, his last one is finished. I'm about 100 pages from the end.

3. As far as the "tie-ins", yes, it's interesting to recall all the references to other books/stories when reading it. The preacher from Salem's Lot ends up playing a big role. So do the low men from other books.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    It is indeed finished, all 7 books!
    I'm a King fan, but I wouldn't invite too much discussion,
    someone is bound to ruin the ending for you.
    I loved the DT series, though it was a bit meandering in spots.
    When you guys finish the whole thing (or if you don't mind the end being spoiled) I'd love to discuss it here!

5. I read somewhere that IT and The Stand are also tied in with the story. Both of those are great books.

6. Yes, they are....along with MANY others. He actually lists them at the start of the last book.

IT and The Stand were great. The TV movie versions sucked but that was no shocker.

7. You guys need to finish up the books so that way we can discuss the ending, or we need to start a new thread.

I'm just getting into King, I just finished Insomnia, and have a copy of The Stand for when I finish my summer reading.

8. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    The Stand is by far my favorite book. I remember reading it in Freshman year of highschool, I blew through it in 2 weeks. I didn't get much schoolwork done, all I did was read. And read. And read. Make sure you get the uncut version, there's tons more detail and even small stories than the cut version.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm reading through The Shining for the umpteenth time right now. Stephen King rocks my world.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just started book 7 of the Dark Tower on Wednesday - it was hard to get a copy as it's not out in paperback here yet - so I had to order a hardback and paid £25 (double for $ !!) !!

But it's worth it - this has been one of the best series of books I have ever read and so immersive...although there were bits I didn't like - like the characters meeting Stephen King ... but overall it's been a tremendous ride!! :)

I'll be back here when I've finished!!

11. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    This is my biggest complaint about King's work. Somewhere along the line he lost the ability to create characters and just started substituting himself into stories. Granted, in most of his books, the main character isn't really the star, but it's always bothered me that he couldn't put ten seconds more thought into a situation and come up with a different main character than "a writer living in a small town in Maine."

And when he does come up with interesting characters (such as the Gunslinger and pals), what does he do? Throws himself in the book anyway. RRRGH. :scowl:

12. I doubt he substituted himself in the story because he lost the ability to create characters. That's pretty ridiculous considering how prolific a writer he is.

13. Bruce Lindfield

I have now finished reading all 7 books, one after the other - to the end and the Dark Tower!! :)

I liked the ending - it was a bit of a surprise, but now thinking about it, I can see that logically it is the only way that you can explain how Roland is so far out of time with everybody else - it also reinforces him as a kind of Arthurian figure, forever searching, who may appear to help others given a just cause.

It also reminded me of Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" series of books ...

I was pleased that Stephen King sort of "apologised" at the end of the series for including himself - so he explains how it was always about how real life and fiction inter-relate and that was one of the books' main subjects - but that it might not have been successful.

I can forgive him that, for giving us such a great ride and such a great series of books! :)

14. I thought the ending was perfect. Kudos to King for so neatly wrapping up the story.

15. Bruce Lindfield

I was happy with it - but I'd love to read some more !! ;)

I really enjoyed reading this and it's going to be a big ''hole' ....I don't really like "Horror" and have therefore never read any other Stephen King - anybody want to suggest which of his other books are more 'Fantasy' than 'Horror'...?

16. The Stand is more of a sweeping epic fantasy than a horror novel. Also The Talisman and Black House.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The last thing I read from Stephen King was his review of the latest Harry Potter book.

brad cook

18. Eyes of the Dragon is probably his most fantasy-esque. The Stand is his masterpiece. A must read. A true epic of good and evil.

19. Bruce Lindfield

I looked at summaries and reviews on Amazon and went and bought "The Stand" (very thick!) and "The Eyes of the Dragon" at lunchtime today! :)

Now which to start reading first.....? ;)

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I read the Eyes of the Dragon once. Not bad.

brad cook