Steps Ahead - Live in Tokyo 1986

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rustyshakelford, Jul 30, 2002.

1. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Anyone else have this album?

Darryl Jones plays bass, post-Sting. Great playing.

Has anyone tried transcribing "Sumo" or arranging "In a Sentimental Mood"?

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that's their best ELECTRIC album(IMO).

Have you heard Smoking In The Pit?
  3. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I have the 1986 live in Tokyo in DVD. The picture quality is not great, but it's an awesome concert ! They are all monster players. Mike Manieri's vibraphone playing is highly technical, yet very emotional. With Michael Brecker they are both using Midi but it's not lame 80's stuff, it's great music.

Mike Stern takes several of his trademark solos (always a joy to watch) and the rythm section grooves all the way. Darryl Jones playing is infected by the Funk. There's a track featuring only him and the drummer and he's on fire !

If you have a DVD player, grab it before it's out of print !

4. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I have heard only clips of Smokin in the Pit. I had their first album, with the fallen diva on the cover; I am ambivalent about Eddie Gomez. The drummer is great (Steve Gadd?).

On the subject of the live DVD, the Tokyo concert is the same as the Steps Live cd to which I am referring. I don't have a DVD player. I am curious about the Darryl Jones/Steve Smith tune on the DVD.

There is a Vital Information live tune with Barron Brown and Steve Smith covering Moby Dick. I wonder if the Steps tune is inthe same vein.

5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gadd is the drummer on Smokin'.

There's a version of "Moby Dick" on a studio Vital Info disc with Jeff Andrews, too(I'm thinking he's playing URB on that track).

The debut Steps album has Peter Erskine on cans.
    The "fallen diva" is Brasilian(?) hottie Eliane Elias...a happenin' player/composer in her own right.
    Don Grolnick(RIP) was Steps' original pianist...I'm forgettin' why he didn't do the debut disc.
  6. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I am intrigued.

The first steps studio album cover shows a painting titled, I think, Fallen Diva. It is art deco, so I assumed it was from the 1920's.

I know Eliane Elias plays piano on the album. Is the fallen diva supposed to be she?

How interesting.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I dunno.:confused:
    I thought you were calling EE a "fallen diva". ;)
    (She did that one record with them & was history...).

In any event, "Pools" is one cool tune off that album.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Smokin' In The Pit is one of my favorite albums...the whole band is on fire on that recording!
    Steve Gadd is just a monster!!!!