1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stereo Amp Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AztecViking, Oct 12, 2010.

1. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    It seems most bass players use a stereo amp setup in order to have a channel dedicated to distortion.

I'm not interested in that at all. I would eventually like to have a nice, compact rig fully capable of exploiting today's modern stereo effects.

Right now I have my eye on a TecAmp Puma 1000 but still can't find a local dealer who carries it. While sort of pricey it
    is currently my top candidate at least "on paper".

The Bass San Diego store to the south of me does stock both the Epiphany PS 1000 and the EA iAMP Pro. Both of which also look good specs-wise but I still have not heard/played through them set up for stereo.

Luckily Bass San Diego also stocks the full line of Bergatino cabinets which is what I plan to use them with. So I will be soon making an appointment to go down there and play through them myself.

Also there is the Markbass Alain Caron stereo preamp and powered stereo cabinets which look very interesting but it looks as if I would have to buy a plane ticket to Canada to give that stuff a whirl. It seems to have only been a fluke that Musician's Fiend ( mispelling almost intentional :D ) said you could place a pre-order for that stuff for about two months after NAMM last year.

Again this stuff looks awesome on paper but I'd really need to try it out for myself to commit that much money to it. $4000.00 range is what I recall it being but could be more in Canadian dollars. And from all I've seen you would have to buy it in Canada. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Also there is the option of using stereo PA heads for this but I sort am in the dark with that whole bag. I have seen some the so called "rigs of doom" here which sport them. I 've never played through something like this myself.

On a smaller scale though I do regularly use a compact Fender Passport 250 PA system for my practice setup and it sounds AWESOME. It's tough to go back to a mono setup ( even when not using stereo effects ) after getting used to this type of fullness. So I can believe that these larger stereo heads might also do a mean trick of providing the basis for a massive bottom end stereo rig.

But I'm not looking for biggest baddest thing in the universe. I don't have monster bass rig syndrome. ( at least I hope I don't :D ) Light and compact ( relatively ) is how I want to go.

I would love to hear from anyone who has worked with setting up a true stereo rig and their opinion on any of the gear I've mentioned within that setup.

PS. I have heard the name Walter Woods BTW but still haven't done too much research on those heads.

Also does GK make an amp that can run stereo? Someone told me they did and someone else told they didn't.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I see that you made two threads...I answered in your other one.

3. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    For home or studio use, a stereo setup can sound really gorgeous. I've got a Kurzweil Rumor reverb patched into the stereo efx returns of a Sarno Revelation tube preamp and it sounds fabulous. Two amp channels, each with it's own speaker. For the most part though, I just use one mono amp through the same two speakers, less tweaking, less stuff to deal with.

Excepting the guys who run a biamped rig with high gain/fuzz on one channel and a cleaner channel down low, I don't know that a lot of people would find a stereo bass rig too beneficial for live gigs.

4. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Not sure why there are two separate threads. This is my first day on and the site seems to want me to re-login for every move I make. It made me login again after I first tried submitting the comment then bumped me back to the comment as if it hadn't been submitted. So I'm guessing that's how it happened.

5. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I played guitar for ahwile and did some really nice stuff live with stereo effects with that. I don't see how it would be much different for bass live.

The Alain Caron setup seems sort of optimal becuase it really is designed to handle stereo effects.

I play almost exclusively in trios BTW in small club situations. I don't use a lot of effects but it's that Time I spent with playing the guitar where I got hooked on the sensation of the true stereo sound image.

I still need to try the new Lexicon pedals with bass.

Also if I ever do need PA support beyond simple vocals I always hire a trusted audio friend to run the board. Otherwise it can really be a toss up what the sound is going to be like.

6. I don't run stereo effects( I could) but I run a true stereo setup..Effects only on the treble/bridge PU.

1031101252.jpg

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Maybe so (I rarely bother with going stereo anymore, FWIW), but it was Jaco's hallmark live sound Tom. ;)

Aztec: I suggest that you look into biamping and only using stereo effects on the high side, with about a ten foot spread. Think satellite speakers and subwoofer. IME this translates much more gracefully in many live situations. It's also sometimes cool to send one side of your stereo mix to front of house and the other side to your mono bass rig.

And here's my current stereo rig, less quite a few more rack EFX units:

[​IMG]

8. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Sorry for my late responses to these as I was sort of out of the loop for a bit after I posted this.

My basic question for both StereoPlayer and Passinwind is how much experimentation did it take you to get to where you are now with stereo setups.

I do imagine that it sort constantly evolves as you continue to use them in different situations.

Also if you have any stories where it has really worked optimally or even not so great ones about where it failed miserably.

And much thanks to both of you guys for sharing what you know. Most all bass players seem to want to discourage me from trying this!

9. You are confusing 'stereo' with dual mono. The Puma1000 is not a stereo head. It has a mono preamp powering two separate power amps, which can run cabs separately or can be bridged into a single channel. (also, note that the updated Puma1000 will be a mono block head... not sure when they are making the change).

The only true stereo production head I'm aware of that will allow you to do what you want to do is the TecAmp Puma Bonafide, which can be run mono, dual mono, or true stereo (Austin Bass Traders is the US dealer).

Of course, you could use two separate amps, or two separate preamps into a PA type amp.

I wouldn't bother myself.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 not worth the bother. Aside from what KJung just mentioned, the way most bass players run stereo, is two completely seperate rigs. The effect *is* cool, but the effort to do that live is far too much carrying of gear, for an effect that is almost universally lost on the audience. Fun at home, but unless you have a full road crew, and play large arena shows, not worth the effort.

11. Why discourge???!! do what YOU want!

I have tried running stereo many times in the past and to tell you the truth....I had trouble controlling the overall sound.

For well over 35 years I used a 2 channel head, so that I could EQ each PU for the sound I liked. I know....it is a summed output from each PU for a MONO output from the amp...but I got the sound I wanted.

I did not like setting the amp EQ for the sound I like with the neck/bass PU then switching to the bridge/treble PU...blah...it was not the sound I wanted from that PU.
    It all started with my '69 4001 Ric, the treble PU was very weak(still is).
    But, by using a 2 channel head(or 2 amps), I can set the bass PU for nice, full, heavy bass sound....then set the treble PU for the sound I desire, usually set the treble PU with lots of mids and treble. Also, I use all effects on the bridge/treble PU ONLY!
    It has worked for me, I like the CONTROL I have with my total sound output, either summed mono or true stereo.

Recently, I HAVE been using TWO amps for a true stereo output.
    Of course, I have lots of options, BUT, they never include using the mono output from my bass(some them simply do not have a mono jack). I recently aquired 2 GK mb200's for a very light weight small rig(I will wire a 410 cab to a stereo set-up for that rig soon)

So, a the very least, get a 2 channel head or use your current amp/combo and use a smaller bass combo for the treble PU, I feel you can use a smaller amp for the treble PU.

You have lots of options for running stereo. Use what appeals to YOU. I have also run stereo and bi-amped each PU for a sorta quad output!

Quote from KJung:

"You are confusing 'stereo' with dual mono. The Puma1000 is not a stereo head. It has a mono preamp powering two separate power amps, which can run cabs separately or can be bridged into a single channel. (also, note that the updated Puma1000 will be a mono block head... not sure when they are making the change).

The only true stereo production head I'm aware of that will allow you to do what you want to do is the TecAmp Puma Bonafide, which can be run mono, dual mono, or true stereo (Austin Bass Traders is the US dealer).

Of course, you could use two separate amps, or two separate preamps into a PA type amp.

I wouldn't bother myself."

KJung, I respect you opinions and value your comments EVERY time I see your posts.

I don't think it's a "bother" for me, it's all about the TONE that I WANT.....Altho, the guitar player in my band doesn't really like my set-up....oh well....get a bigger amp/more speakers. He really doesn't realize, it's not about over powering the guitar....but I get the TONE I want!

I've been playing a long time, kids are grown. NOW it's my time to rock.

PS: I have had a bass with three pu's w seperate outputs!

12. Sorry......not a bother for me. Tone.

13. +1 to your comment above to me. The 'not worth it' was a PURE IMO there:). I got the sense the OP was kind of 'thinking about it' versus having a very specific tone goal or whatever in mind. I was more just trying to make sure he thought through the trade-offs and the ratio of + to -.

14. I agree, the sound IS lost in the mix. I don't run stereo for the special effects. Like I said it's about control/tone.

I know it works for me 'cause alot of musicians and friends say "your... bass... sounds...GREAT!"

Tonal ControlNot a Bother:)

15. Thanks, I completly value everthing you post.....I love the bass....I'm a happy bassist! Rehersal today:meh:, normally I like rehearsals....but today the gui**** is picking at every one's playing and singing......I just want to have fun.....not like were going to "make it someday";). I asked him about the 100 or so people singing(screaming) with us....he gonna make them stop?:cool:

Have a great day...I love this TB place:D

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Same here, only speaking from my own expirience, and I've got a Ric with Ric-O-Sound, too!, just never was able to make it worth the while for ME to schlepp all that extra gear. Especially now, since I usually carry 2 synthesizers, a bass, 2 small pedalboards, and then my rig, (which is a lightweight head plus 2x12)- YOU do what makes YOU happy, and have fun with it brozilla.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021