Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo Amp setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joetiii, Mar 7, 2006.

1. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I remember reading about this question over a year ago and my feeble mind can't remember what setup would be best.

I am powering our bands monitors with two 8 ohm speakers and a soundtech ps802 amp. Since the amp will only bridge down to 8 ohms minimum, I need to use either one side of the amp for both speakers, or one speaker for each amp channel.

Each channel delivers 400 watts at 4 ohms. In the one channel two speaker arrangement, each speaker will see 200 watts and the amp will be delivering maximum available power.

In the one speaker for each channel arrangement, the amp will be delivering roughly 285 watts to each speaker. A slight improvement in headroom, but the amp will be working harder at 8 ohms.

My choice would be to go with headroom over amp operating efficiency?

Anyone care to comment?

2. Running one cab per side is easier on the amp but either way would work fine. I'd use one channel per cab.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How loud do the monitors need to be??? Since they're not handling high power bass frequencies (are they?) you'll get lots of volume (and perhaps feedback) before you run out of power!

I'll vote for one speaker per channel...that way you can adjust each one's volume individually.

4. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    The last few gigs, we started mikeing the Harp and lead guitar. No drums or bass. The problem that we all have is that as the gig goes on, the lead guitarist turns up louder and vocals are tough to hear.
    The monitor speakers we have are inefficient and are peaking out at 150 watts.

I'm thinking more power to the monitors, and less mike on the lead will give us the vocal presence we need on stage.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Did you tell the guitarist that by turning up it hurts the sound of the band? You might want to explain it to them (very slowly) that the audience doesn't come to see/hear them...they come to see/hear (you and) the singer. ;)