Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo and Mono Jacks?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 15, 2006.

1. I was looking for a Jack for my SX, so I went to BassPartsResource.com. I found out that there are two types of jacks, mono and stereo jacks. I know what mono and stereo mean, but is there really a difference in sound?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mono jacks are used on passive basses. Stereo jacks are used for active basses, not because the sound is stereo but to allow wiring so that the circuit is powered only when cord is plugged in.
    Can't think of any reason why you couldn't use stereo jack on passive bass, you'd just be wiring two lugs instead of three.

3. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I recently converted an active bass to passive and used the existing stereo jack. As you said, I just didn't use the battery connector that's all.

4. Mono Jack= Collar and tip
    Stereo Jack= Collar,ring and tip

The collar and tip will remain the same with either jack. By putting the + lead of a battery to the ring and the low to the collar you effectivly put the battery in the ckt.

B

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    That's a good way to short out the battery. The circuit between the ring and sleeve is used to complete the ground connection, so the ground from the battery goes to one contact and continues out the other. You insert a mono plug and it completes the ground connection, turning the preamp on.

6. That is exactly what I stated. The way you said it sounds better.
    B

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Against my better judgement, I'll reply.

You say: put the "+" to the ring and the "low" to the "collar". "+" can only mean one thing, the positive battery terminal. If you mean "low" to be the negative terminal, then you will short the battery when you insert a plug into the jack. You will have completed a circuit, just not the one you intended to. If you meant something else by "low" then only you know what it is. If somehow you meant the other side of the "+" circuit it would still be the wrong way to do it because you would be switching the hot side of the circuit and not the ground.

8. What I meant to say is that with a stereo jack the "ring" is being use to complete the ckt for the pre. I stand corrected. I general aviation we use not mono and stereo jacks for head sets. In the case of a boom mic jack the collar is low the ring is audio and the tip is the ptt. When you key the radio you are just connecting the tip and collar to complete a ckt.
    As above what I first wrote is wrong. What I meant to is that the ring of a stereo jack when connected to the collar(low) turns on the pre.
    I am sorry for the confusion.
    B

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    "Stereo" jack split the Negative from the ground. Typically, Low Impeadance runs through "Stereo" or TRS(Tip, Ring, Sleeve) jacks. Ric basses are wired to run stereo or mono.