1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stereo basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Mar 31, 2009.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    hi guys i need your advice and knowledge;
    I'm waiting for a ric 4003 (i've been waiting for months) and its long...
    What I like the most about rics is the ric-o-sound stereo output. I'm considering looking for another stereo bass, if that exists that is! Does anyone know if there are other stereo basses out there? Or, does anyone know if its complicated to turn a normal bass into a stereo bass? (or ask a pro to do it for me...)
    thanks!

2. Any bass with 2 pickups can be a "stereo bass" if you add an additional output jack and rewire it...

How difficult this is to do depends on your ability to add in a second jack and rewire the electronics.

If you had a P bass with a second pickup installed, ala Billy Sheehan's "The Wife", you could just drill a hole in the pickguard for the jack.
    On the other hand, a bass with a side jack would require you to modify the hole on the side of the bass to fit both jacks.

IMO, a P bass is the easiest bass to add a second jack to, because the jack is mounted on a pickguard.

Of course, there is the option of taking a bass with a preexisting top-mounted jack, and adding a side jack. But this would look extremely stupid IMO.

3. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ok then, well what about an allready existing stereo bass? (other than rickenbacker) Are there any?

4. See above post.

5. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    any others? that yamaha is too ugly...

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There aren't many, and I can't think of any atm, but they do exist. Why such a long wait for a 4003 though? I had to wait for a 4004, but 4003's are everywhere.

7. bhernco

bhernco

Mar 1, 2008
    Hawaii
  8. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    well i'm in Montreal and for some obscur reason, musicians friend and other dealers dont ship to quebec
    and i dont trust ebay
    so i had to order from a canadian dealer...2 years wait!:crying:

9. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    OOD likes this.

10. Ovation Magnum, Carvin, Hamer, Univox and Ibanez (Ric) copies
    Sears used to sell Stereo hollowbody basses but they were not the Silvertones. I can't remember cuz Im old.... bring on the sponge bath ladies..you may need to wipe me first!

:bag:

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If stereo is all that matters to you (and not needing each pickup panned to a different output), you can always just buy a splitter pedal to turn your mono signal to stereo and just use any old bass with it.

12. I have an old Carvin 5-string ('89 I think) and it is stereo. It's a really cool effect having the two pickups going to separate speakers. When I first got the bass I used to run it into my stereo system to practice (using 1/4" to RCA adapters) and it sounded amazing through headphones -- a very "real", non-gimmicky sense of space in the notes.

I occasionally ran a stereo rig for small party gigs where the PA was for vocals only, but I always ran it in mono if I was dealing with a soundman -- the PAs were always mono, and I didn't want to get on his bad side by asking for 2 channels for bass...

I actually asked for stereo outputs on my new Knuckle Quake that is currently being built. I think the tricky part is getting the circuit set up like on the old Carvin basses, so that you can plug into a single jack and get both pickups, but if you plug into both jacks the signal gets split.