1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stereo/Bridged Mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Aug 28, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am switching all my power to power amps, i will be using two units because of the cab ohms (one set is four ohms the other is eight). When an amp says 300 watts @8 ohms bridged mono, does this mean that it will only run one channel(ie one cabinet). I guess what to know is which application means what.

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thanks ED
    You kind of answered my question. I will be using two power amps, one for the 4ohm cabs and one for the 8 ohm cabs, with a tube preamp. The gist of what i was wonderin and i think you said was that the amp will tell me which side the bridged power is the output. Right?

3. Mike -

I assume that you'll be running a solid state power amp. If that's the case, you don't have to worry about one cab being 8 ohms and the other being 4.

What you can do is get a rather powerful power amp (like a Mackie 1400i), run it dual channel mono, and turn the volume control for the 8 ohm cab higher. The Mackie will give you 500 w @ 4 ohms and around 350 w @ 8 ohms - plenty of power.

John