Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo/Bridged Mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Aug 28, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am switching all my power to power amps, i will be using two units because of the cab ohms (one set is four ohms the other is eight). When an amp says 300 watts @8 ohms bridged mono, does this mean that it will only run one channel(ie one cabinet). I guess what to know is which application means what.

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thanks ED
    You kind of answered my question. I will be using two power amps, one for the 4ohm cabs and one for the 8 ohm cabs, with a tube preamp. The gist of what i was wonderin and i think you said was that the amp will tell me which side the bridged power is the output. Right?

3. Mike -

I assume that you'll be running a solid state power amp. If that's the case, you don't have to worry about one cab being 8 ohms and the other being 4.

What you can do is get a rather powerful power amp (like a Mackie 1400i), run it dual channel mono, and turn the volume control for the 8 ohm cab higher. The Mackie will give you 500 w @ 4 ohms and around 350 w @ 8 ohms - plenty of power.

John