Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stereo effect returns

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    How many people actually use both outputs on stereo devices like chorus or flange? If you don't have 2 amps, do you bother to combine both returns back into a mono signal? Do you think it's worth it to do that?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't. I don't think it makes sense unless you're running a stereo rig. Even then, if you have pa support you'd have to persuade the sound guy that you need two DI lines. Sometimes L & R outs are useful if you need to split a signal so 1/2 of it bypasses some other effect (like a filter) further down the line, but a regular splitter box will do this for you better than a flanger.

I do like stereo effects when I'm playing w/ headphones. My J Station has a great chorus sweep that pans through my brain!

3. What jondog said. That'd mean the sound guy might have to spend another 30 seconds on the bass. That's not going to happen.

Also, even if you just run it in stereo for your on-stage backline, you're going to be the only one who knows it's stereo. No one else is going to hear it.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I haven't used them live yet, but I utilize them in my home recording setup.

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I played around with using both the active and passive inputs on my amp, matching gain levels just to see what it would sound like combined back into mono. It does sound better than using a single return... but for me, it wasn't "better enough" to justify the added expense of a A/B/C/D box. ;)

6. The extra input could come in mighty handy if you wanted to run a parallel signal back into yer rig? Say, pitch shifters+ filters full range through both but distortion and time delays through only one then you could blend them together. I saw a wild player in a live d&b/ prog-jazz duo from Vancouver I/O and he had THREE pedalboards all of which were sumed up into a mono signal using his DL4 stereo inputs; rather clever I thought. I use both inputs on my preamp running the rather deficient signal from my Akai Headrush into the hotter passive jack so my loops are loud enough.:cool: