1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stereo equipment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crikker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    I'm looking for a new Kenwood receiver. Are there any good places that you all recommend on the net for equipment? Thanks.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    crutchfield.com

3. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    OK, no Kenwood anymore or if ever? How about recommendations for receivers in general? I looked at the Crutchfiled site and it seems like there are maybe 4 or 5 makes available there. I have a Technics receiver now but don't know if they're made anymore. No local stores other than Wal-Mart to shop for me.

4. I don't know if there are any Kenwoods available, but I've bought most of my stuff here, mainly because of the huge selection. www.jr.com

Even if you don't buy here, you can use their prices as a guide.

Is there any particular reason why you want a Kenwood?

By the way, I used to own a Kenwood KR-5600 receiver, so I'm not knocking Kenwood products.

Mike

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I know Best Buy carries Technics, or used to anyway.

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    wait a minute...Kenwood is done? I have a av reciever that kicks serious mojo

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Kenwood has been out of the mass-market consumer electronics business for at least 4 years. I believe Panasonic has shelved the Technics brand name also, besides pro-DJ gear, keyboards, and turntables.

For strictly stereo receiver (no surround sound) to replace a broken one, look for Onkyo and Harman/Kardon, they both have some very good stereo receivers. Sherwood and Pioneer also may have some. Most of the business is in "surround sound" these days, but there are still stereo receivers to be found.

J and R , mentioned above, is an excellent source. Outlaw, also mentioned above, has a very nice high end stereo receiver, their model RR2150. Pricey, but excellent.

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I had no clue. They musta went out right after I bought my Kenwood AV reciever. I love the thing...as long as it keeps chuggin aI won't need another. I have a 20 year old Pioneer that has 5.1 when it first came out. It's still crankin as well. Pair it with some nice 12 or 15 cabinets and you have one heck of a party machine!

10. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    Here's what I'd like the receiver to do. I want to hook to it a phonograph (yes!), a tape player (yes!), cd player, a set of surround sound speakers with sub and possibly tv. Am I still looking for a receiver or some kind of home entertainment thing?

I have some Kenwood pieces and really like them. Same with Technics. What I'm aiming to do is take the receiver I have now and put it in my basement and put a newer one upstairs, then buy components for the upstairs and move the older ones down (except the record player).

11. NAD.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You're looking for an A/V (surround sound) receiver. What is your budget?

13. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    I'd like to stay around 200-300 but if it's something I need, I'll go there.

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Isn't Crutchfield ridiculously over priced?

15. similar price point to marantz over here at least

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    On some stuff they seem to be, but that's where I go for all my mobile audio stuff since I like doing the installs myself. With the install kits, harnesses and stuff, I guess it evens out in the end.

I didn't know Technics were no longer being made. My theater system is Technics and I have another receiver I use in my shop that I bought in 1990 and it's still running strong and sounds great.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Not really. Crutchfield is a good resource for info but when you buy, you've paid through the nose for it.

I've been using Harman Kardon and Yamaha SS receivers. And while I still have my Kenwood components (KA series amp/KT series tuner) I bought back in 1977 running in my garage, the last Kenwood receiver I had was horrible.

I've had good luck with www.etronics.com for various items.

If you're not averse to used gear, much like with musical gear, the bang for the buck is there. I just picked up a pair of PSB Image 6T speakers for $100 (a flat out stupid price for these) at a local store. Got one of my late model Yamaha 6.1 receivers at Goodwill for $60. Craigslist is loaded with stuff.

Not stereo related except the pawnshop didn't know any better: I picked up a Bag End S-15 yesterday, marked as "Bulk speaker $79", with the original speaker. For $60.
    :hyper:

For a turntable, I wouldn't stress getting a receiver that could handle it, I'd get a phone preamp and use a standard input. Not in the pricerange you're talking. If you know what you're looking for there's a ton of great deals on eBay.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The last few years that Kenwood made audio components, they were not that great.

You can't go wrong with Harman Kardon.