1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stereo guitar cord

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. dr_love2112


    May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    where can i find one????
  2. What you're looking for is called a TRS (tip, ring sleeve) cable (It will have what looks like a headphone 1/4" plug on each end.) UNLESS you intend to split the output. Then what you need is called an insert cable, so named because audio mixers use that type of connection to 'insert' a device on an individual channel. It will have the "stereo" connector on one end and split to two separate cables with standard 1/4 jacks on the other.
  3. dr_love2112


    May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i found one......im going to make a box that splits teh signal and run 2 rigs
  4. If you use an insert cable, you won't need a splitter box.
  5. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, let's wait a second here. Does your guitar have a stereo output? If you just plug a TRS plug into a regular guitar output, you won't have signal on both outputs of an insert cable. Most likely you will have signal just on the tip send with ground on the ring and nothing on the sleeve. If your guitar is just regular, then you should use an A/B/Y footswitch to split the signal.

    If you want the guitar to go to both amps all the time, you could create a splitter cable with TS ends. The guitar end would be a standard TS plug, then, say, about five feet from the amp end you could split it off into two parallel cables to go to the amps. I've never made one like that, but it would be easier than making an insert cable, of which I've made a whole slew.
  6. dr_love2112


    May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    well my bass dont have "rick o sound" yet but im putting it in my geddy lee jazz bass!!!!!!
  7. anyonefortennis

    anyonefortennis Supporting Member

    Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

    Look for a rickenbacker ric-o-sound kit, that's basically what you are trying to build.
  8. dr_love2112


    May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i know but itsd 75 bucks and i can make the box for about 10
  9. relayer66


    Oct 10, 2002
    Zushi, Japan
    Planet Waves makes a very nice TRS cable.