Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo mics and live recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Feb 12, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi everyone,

So I decided to try out my new MD recorder (Sony MZ707 w/ECM-something mic) for live recording yesterday... and I realized that, while the sound quality was pretty good, the levels seemed to be all over the place, from inaudible to clippyfartalicious.

I was wondering if there were any "tricks" to mic placement for room mic-ing. Spots in the room that are best to avoid, and so on.

Any advice from anyone who has done this sorta thing with an MD is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

2. I hate to ask the obvious question, but does your MD allow you to set the recording level or is it done automatically? If it's done automatically then it's going to be down to placement of the mic. If you can set it yourself, then aim on the low side (use your headphones to check levels rather than any level readout on the unit). You can always normalise the output in an audio editor on your PC later.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Ed - but when you are doing that, are you trying to get a recording of the bass primarily, or an even overall mix?

I'm trying [read: hoping] to get the FOH sound rather than the stage sound... or would the stage sound be less muddy?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    BREAD FLAGMAN - if you mean the Johnson Chronicles, I do have one of them but alas, it doesn't have any of your material on it. It does have some of DURRL's MD-recorded stuff, which really sounds to me like it was recorded FOH. As does Steve Lawson's live stuff and most other MD recordings I've heard.

Admittedly I just got my MD and was giving it the acid test. IIRC it does have the option to edit levels, but I am not entirely sure.

Also my mic has both stereo and zoom-in modes. So far the zoom mode has provided better sound for recording music - anyone else found the same thing?

5. SMASH - My Sony RZ909 allows you to alter recording levels on the fly... Just so you know :)

Ed - Running the level hot pushes you towards the likelihood of digital overload and clipping. I'm happier to post-process the tracks in Cool Edit after the event if needed.

I have an ATR97 boundary (powered) mic. It's mono and probably not the best for gig use (SMASH you naughty boy!) since it picks up a really wide field of sound. It does a pretty nice job for recording practice sessions, unplugged stuff and conferences I've attended. ;) SMASH I'll need to investigate that natty stereo mic you've got there. Pretty slick!

6. I kind of alluded to it in the other thread but www.minidisc.org has some interesting information and fairly honest reviews.

7. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    The newer sony MD recorders allow for manual adjustment of recording levels, and have powered mic input as well as line inputs.

I use the Sony ECM907 stereo mic for rehearsal recordings, and I also have a Radio Shack stereo lavalier mic for more stealthy recordings. I need to get a better battery box for the RS mic, but the little one that came with it is sufficient for now.

Basically, you want a powered condenser or electret mic to give you the dynamic range you need to record live music.

Your 707 MD recorder should be able to do this pretty well.