Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stereo output jack question?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tuBass, Nov 5, 2005.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    On an active bass, my output jack has three tabs on the back, a very short on in the middle, and very long one on the outer rim, and one that is medium short on the other side. Could somebody tell me or show me a diagram of which connector is the tip, center, and ring? I replaced my jack, but I'm afraid I got them all crossed up, and I'm not used to dealing with a stereo jack.

2. When looking at the jack, examine the contacts that will actually touch the plug when you put the plug in.

The one that hits the very tip of the plug...is the tip. The next one is the ring. The bottom of the jack is the shield, since it contacts the base of the plug.

Which solder tab goes to which? Not always the same, if it's an open jack you can (with your eyes) carefully follow the metal from the contact, then see between the layers of insulation and figure out which solder tab goes to which.

If it's a closed jack and it's not obvious which solder tab is which, I use my ohmeter to figure it out.

When soldering the battery and bass leads, remember: tip is the signal from the bass. Ring is the battery ground. Shield is the ground to the electronics.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It is a closed jack, and my ohm meter's probes won't reach that far inside. That's why I was hoping I could get diagram to tell me if there is a standard setup on the output jacks.

4. Stick a plug in it then use the meter....

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

actually technically I think ring is to electronics and "shield" (what call I nuetral) is battery ground - at least that's how the EMG's I've had have been setup and that's what their diagrams show. That is also consistent with passive mono jacks where there is no "shield" terminal and negative off the harness runs to ring. To my knowlege it doesn't matter cause they're both connected to ground when the jack's plugged in. I assume there's a reason they don't just run two terminals off the ring but I don't what it is. But maybe I'll find out now.

6. not exactly..."ring" is the outermost contact point...this is your shield...and your electronics ground....

"tip", of course, is the signal lead

"centre" is where the battery negative connects...when no plug is in place, nothing else should touch this...

the plug then acts as a switch contact and connects the battery lead to the shield and electronics ground and basically "turns on" the preamp...

if it is not done in this way (centre and ring reversed), the bass will work, but the batteries will drain off quickly over a period of a few short weeks...

as I mentioned in another thread...you can check this by wiring three clip-leads to a stereo plug...and then, WITH the battery plugged in, you should still see open circuit between the ring and the centre...if not....its not right...

this only works for a standard stereo jack...my carvin has a strange jack that has a switch on it that works by throwing a separate switch when I plug the jack in...I have some minor issues with this particular arrangement and don't recommend using this type unless it's absolutely necessary (just gave me an idea for a new task..."fix that blasted jack on my Carvin"

7. Perhaps the terms "down under" are different than up here...

Usually we call tip...welll, the tip....

Ring is next, it's where the battery ground goes

I've heard Shield and Sleeve used interchangeably; it is ground, it can't be the battery ground because if the output jack is mounted on a grounded pickguard or metal plate, it'd connect the battery ground to the electronic ground and turn on the battery.

Check this link for a picture with labels:

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/haze...G=8&s1=Free_info_sheets&item=freeinfo/fi.html

Or this link, it shows how to convert a TRS cable into an effects send/receive.

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/ringtip.html

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Okay, looks like a terminology issue misunderstanding on my part not an issue of incorrect wiring (I think so anyway). I always thought the ring on a jack was the center part that "looks" like a ring. I swore when I first started messing with wiring I saw a diagram of as much as well.

On the other hand, if you look at this diagram you can see that is the opposite of how the EMG diagram is and EMG's I've recieved used were wired according to the diagram. Battery ground not going to center.

http://emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/J_models1.pdf

Beyond that, I ran the meter and you're right. And batteries never lasted my than a couple of weeks in my active basses when I had them. Now I can see how these guys can talk about batteries lasting 6 months to a year in their basses. That was one of those unresolved curiosities.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Unless I'm off again, that Stewmac diagram is sort of Stewpid becuase it's confusing in that they show a mono jack at the top and stereo jack under it - likes it a different view of the same thing.

The Stewmac diagram does show the "ring" not being what I thought it was but it is where the battery ground goes, not to center, which is consistent with the EMG and how I've been wiring it. But that's also the way it will bleed the battery quicker.

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have yet to see a diagram which accuratly shows what a steroe barrel jack really looks like.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE