1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stereo Polyphase vrs Flanger Hoax

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist30, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Anybody played both and can compare? I heard both via youtube. I have gas for the poly but then i heard the hoax, and it does sound interesting. On the upside of the polyphase it has an input for an expression pedal. Thats cool. You can control the sweep. But the hoax is a very interesting phaser. I guess its a flanger but it sounds like a phaser to. The hoax also has somewhat of a different 18v supply and Im not sure the voodoo lab 2 can power it safely. But thats why Im asking you guys for some insight and help with your thoughts and opinions on these two pedals. Whatever they may be. I know Mystic would have knowledge of the power issue.

2. the polyphase has an easily adjustable frequency sweep that you can adapt to make it sound great on bass.

the hoax is tricky to use and mostly produces a bunch of high end swish - not a great effect for electric bass. IMO. Lots of features but fairly little practicality. also it is HUGE.

either one of them will need an adapter to be powered with a PP2

3. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    It actually has both flanger and phaser circuits in it. So yes, it IS a phaser.

4. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The Polyphase also has an envelope mode which is cool. It takes a center positive 24v power supply, so you can power it with a PP2 (I do), but you'll need to order a special cable from them.

5. I currently own both.

The Polyphase is a very functional and practical phaser. The start and stop knobs are a fantastic help to sculpting the tone exactly like you want. I think it is a phenomenal phaser, one that is severely underrated around here.

The Flanger Hoax is an amazing box that has a TON of options, and it is usually described as a "tweaker's dream". I think the flanger side is better than the phaser side, and mostly got it for the through-zero flanging it can do. It has two phasers in it, a fixed phaser, and a normal sweeping one controlled by an lfo.

As was said earlier in this thread, the lfo sweep of the Hoax doesn't go as low into the bass register as the polyphase, and you really don't get the full awesomeness of it on clean bass. If you run distorted/fuzzed bass into it, then it sounds fantastic.

6. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    But I get the feeling it is this one
    18v/24v 5.5mm x 2.5mm - Reverse Polarity (straight)
    Combines two Pedal Power outputs (both in 12V mode) to create 24V. Used to power various Electro-Harmonix effects like the Deluxe Memory Man, Stereo Memory Man, Deluxe Electric Mistress, Micro Synthesizer, Bass Micro Synthesizer, Q-tron, Q-tron +, Stereo Polychorus, and Worm pedals. (Also powers the Flanger Hoax which uses this reverse polarity cable, but only requires 18V (set both Pedal Power outs to standard 9V

Is this what you use?

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the poly is bass friendly. the hoax is not. go for the poly, it's an excellent unit.

8. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Got it today. You are right its a great phaser. Im set with it.

9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yes, that's the one.