Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo power amp connection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElephantTalk, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Given a typical stereo power amp that can handle 4ohms each side...can I connect one 8 ohm cabinet to one side AND one 4 ohm cabinet to the other side?

Will the 8ohm draw only the amount that it needs and not affect the 4ohm cabinet?

Are there any problems with this set-up?

Thanks.
    -ET

2. the 4 ohm cab will be noticeable louder at the same volume setting than the 8 ohm cab. The amp is not likely designed to deal with an uneven load and it may upset the circuitry or put a strange load on the power supply.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Assuming it's a solid state amp, there's no problem at all with that setup. When you have two channels, you can use them for different signals, right? So of course you can use them with different load impedances.

4. A stereo (solid state) power amp has two independant channels. One side doesn't care what the other is doing.

5. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    So the key is separate volume controls per channel.
    Excellent.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My last rack rig used a Crown CE-1000 to do exactly that. 4 ohm 2x10 on 1 side, either 1 or 2 8 ohm 1x15's on the other. Sometimes bi-amped, sometimes not. In a crude sense you use the volumes on the power amp as tone comtrols. Emphasize one sideor the other depending on the room. Real dead, bring on the 15's, real boomy, turn the 15's off and do it all ith the 2x10 ...

Lack of that flexibility was the hardest thing to overcome when I moved back to a head. I ended up bying the more powerful head (gk 1001 rather than the 700) so I could rewire the 4 ohm 2x10 to 16 to accomodate 1 of the 15's ad the 2x10 w/o going below 4 ohms ...

I'd have used a PLX rather than the Crown had I been just a little richer :)