1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stereo power amp to 1 speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by senorblues, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Are there any issues to worry about merging the A & B outputs to 1 cab?

2. If by merging, you mean ''bridging'' and that you stereo power amp is made for that using a special cable, then yes you can.

If by merging, you mean just connect two 1/4 jacks from each input into the cab, then it's not a good Idea at all, I'm not sure you'll get any increase in power and you'll likely blow something up.

3. Thanks. The amp doesn't have a bridge terminal. I would be using a Stereo signal processor on the input side, but on output I want to use a single 4 ohm cab. There is a special cable to combine or bridge to the speaker?

4. No

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The amp would have to be bridgeable in the first place (most two-channel pro amps are, but there are exceptions). If not, then you can only use one of its channels.

You seem to have the amp already, but are you unable to tell us what it is? Are you at liberty to disclose what brand and model it is? That could help.

6. The amp is a Gem Sound 650-XP that I bought used. I want to Bi-amp my 250 bassman combo using the tuner out into a DOD stereo signal processor+ the power amp. The power amp will do 160 watts per channel at 4 ohms. I've hooked it up to 2-8 ohm cabs and it works pretty well, but I have a single 15" 4 ohm that I want to use.

7. If the amp is not capable of being bridged, then you cannot run both sides of the power amp to one speaker.

Also, you are looking to run stereo, NOT Bi-Amp

Bi-Amp is splitting the signal at a crossover point, and sending lows and highs to different speakers.

Lastly, why would you want to run a stereo effect, only to re-combine them ?

8. Thanks for responding and clarifying for me. I was only wanting to use the stereo out of the signal processor as a way to use both A&B inputs easily. I'll be fine just using half the amp, I just wanted to get as much power as I could out of it.
    Just what happens connecting both speaker outputs together? Does it change the load to the amp? how would it effect the speaker? Here's another goofy question: Could I hook up an 8 ohm cab to 1 side and a 4 ohm to the other?

9. The inputs on your cab are connected to the speaker, and to each other.

This means that two power sources will be hitting each other at your cabs inputs. Most likely will result in damage to your power amp.

With a stereo power amp, you can run different cabs off of each channel regardless of ohms. The only restricting factor is to not go below each channels minimum ohms rating.

A 4 ohm cab "generally" will be louder than an 8 ohm cab. By running the cabs off of different channels, you can use each channels output to balance the volume to your taste.