Stereo power amps/bridging/preamps and other Q's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurt M., Apr 7, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

Some of you may have seen some of my past posts. I'm kinda rethinking my current rig and am exploring some new possibilities. Current rig: Spector NS4CR--->Ampeg SVT3--->Genz Benz 4/10XL.

Anyway I'm considering scrapping the current setup and going to a stereo power amp approach. Something like the QSC PLX1602. I think I'll be trying to drive a Bag End 15 and a Bad End 2/10 combination. I'll be switching to a Spector 5 for the bass. I'm obvioulsy looking for some more juice here. How many of you favor this approach? I'm unsure about what pre to use. The Ampeg preamp doesn't have the eq but it does have a clean and a dirty channel which might be nice. I'm not too up on pre-amps so others can let me know what works. I play mostly hard rock. Also I'm unsure how to run the speakers. Would you run them crossed over? Or would you run them full range? If the amp is rated at 2/350W into 8 ohms what happens when I drive a 4 and an 8ohm cab together. I'd imagine the 4 ohm would get more juice and it would just be a matter of compensating with the amps output level to get the right mix.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Kurt,

The Ampeg SVP-Pro has an EQ and it's totally tube circuitry with 5 12AX7s. I happen to think that it's a nice preamp. I have a Peavey Max preamp and I can't say anything bad about it. It's both tube, 1 12AX7, and solid state. You can find them for small amount of cash and the quality is actually quite good.

I haven't had a chance to try my preamp with it's own separate power amp yet as I'm still on the hunt for a deal. The head that I have has the options that you have questions about and I would suggest that you try them to see which sounds the best to you. If your power amp has two channels , you would have the equivalent of two power amps. One per channel. Running an 8 ohm cab on one channel and a 4 ohm on the would cause the channel with the 4 ohm cab to produce more power. Hopefully I provided some help to you. :)