Stereo Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 9, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    This is not specifically bass related, but I thought someone might be able to help me. I was looking into a Line-6 guitar amp that has two seperate power amps (75/75 watts). However, to run the amp without blowing it up, you need to have both power amps/outputs plugged into something. I was wondering if you could just as well run both stereo sides into a regular cabinet with two inputs, or would you need a specially wired "stereo" cabinet?
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Considering this is about a guitar amp, it should be in the Misc forum.

Which Line 6 amp is this? If it is SS you should have no problem running just one output from the amp. Tube amp = problem/ SS = no problem.

Anyways, you can run a stereo 412 cab. Marshall, Randall, and even Line 6 make the 412S (slant/straight front) as 2/8 mono or 4/16 stereo.
  3. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    We allow PA related questions here, why not guitar as well?

To answer your question, no, while it is possible to make amps that can be paralleled, these most likely are not designed for such use.
  4. No, you cannot run both amps into one cab with 2 inputs, it would have to be a stereo cab.
  5. This falls under "Can you run your dog over with a lawn mower?". Technically, the answer is yes, you can. But something will be damaged in the process.... :D

IF the question is can I hook both channels into one cab (non-stereo cab) without damaging the amp, the answer is indeed no....

6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the feedback.

I guess my old Ampeg SVT-4, which used two seperate power amps was the same way- you couldnt just use one of the stereo outputs (wouldnt work at all). I guess there is something costly about putting in a mono bridge in these line-6 amps.