Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo Rewiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ron Now, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Here is the setup.

I have two Hughes and Kettner BR410 cabs. They are both 8 ohm mono cabs. They have two 1/4" input/output's and 2 XLR's on the back of each cab.

I am considering upgrading to a dual preamp single stereo poweramp setup and running each preamp signal to a different cab.

I am wondering if it would be possible to rewire my cabs so they are each stereo 8 ohm cabs (so basically 2, 8 ohm 2x10's in one box).

The purpose of doing this would be so that I could plug 4 of 10's in parallel (2 from each cab) for a 4 ohm load on each of the power amps channels.

I am assuming I would need to put a pair of extra 1/4" outputs on at least one of the cabs (Top cab for connecting it to the bottom cab) but other than that would this idea be possible.

(In my head it works, the speaker impendance seems to work out. Its just a matter of someone who actually knows what they are doing, proving me wrong or not.)

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out with this.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    .. so they probably use 8 ohm speakers in parallel-series wiring ...

Nope. You could have 4 ohm or 16 ohm load with (2) 8 ohm speakers.

(4) 8 ohm drivers can be wired to 2 ohms parallel, 32 ohms series, or 8 ohms series-parallel.

And this would be beneficial because .....

You are trying for a specific impedance match?
    You are trying to achieve stereo seperation?

3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    It would be for a specific impedance match. But in my insomnia I thought of another way to do this without re-wiring the cabs. Good thing since it wouldn't have worked.

The idea behind it was that I would run my signal into 2 preamps 1 dry and 1 with all my effects in front of it (I use alot of distortions/octaves/delay). Then both preamps would be fed into the stereo channel's of a power amp and each channel would drive 4 of the 10's (2 from each cab) This would mean in each cab there would be 2 10's with a constant clean/dry sound and 2 10's with a full range wet sound. This would keep my bass more intact and blend the signals together for a more rounded defined tone.

As to my late night realization I am going to attempt the same thing but with just running a different amp in to each 4x10. The sound would not be divided up among each cab, but it would essentially have the same effect.

But if I ever did want to attempt rewiring the cabs for stereo opperation I would need to replace the speakers with 4ohm speakers to do so?

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you wanted that particular impedance load, you would have to change as described previously. And it would double your investment in the cabs for very little return.

I doubt anyone could ever tell the difference between the stereo vs mono cabs at 10 feet. If you were playing guitar and putting a cab on each side of a stage and panning L-R you could tell, but at bass frequencies you'd need a lot of physical seperation for the difference to be heard.

5. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I realize that, the point of having the cabs in stereo is so that I could have my Dry signal and Wet (distorted) signal coming through the same cab.

Instead of seperating the cabs so one is running clean and the other is dirty

It would mostly be for the overall sound, the actual seperation for the cabs doesnt matter as much.