1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stereo Rigs: If you got it flaunt it.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Free Tibet, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Florida
    My lowly setup consists of a Digitech BP8=>EBS DynaVerb=>Line6 DL-4=>Mesa Strategy 400.

I am planning on upgrading to a Boss GT-6B in a few weeks, but for what what it is I can get a crapload of different sounds of of it, especially fiddling with the DL4.

Commence the outdoing!

2. I used to play around with a stereo practice rig a while ago, i sent my bass to a DOD Bass30 (currently on ebay) which can do biamp and stereo, and I sent them to an SWR LA12 on one side, and a Ibanez combo on the other side...when i biamped, i sent the highs to a crate guitar amp (currently in the for sale section :)) but i have done things like set different effects to each side, after the bass30, and that was fun...now i am saving up for a bigger stereo bass rig, right now it is currently a ART Nightbass SE->Electrix MoFX->Lexicon Jamman...i still need to pick up a power amp, and i haven't decided on cabs yet, but i am leaning toward accugroove, although expensive...maybe i'll pick up two cheap 110s first :)

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]
    Rockman stereo delay
    DOD stereo flanger
    MAM RS3 stereo filterbank
    (The MXR, Deltalab, and Ashly units are not stereo)

4. *homer simpson voice*
    mmmmmmm....filter bank...mmmmmm

that is a sweet setup you've got there :)

5. i concur most heartily!

i want to set up a 5 point sound setup for playing at home and stereo for playing out. i havnt quite figured out the best way to do it yet. robert fripp sometimes runs his looping performances 4 ways, surrounding the audience. i think he basically runs 4 mono setups if i remember correctly and adds one loop to one and then the next, moving around.....i have to see that guy perform sometime... i was going to buy two full range keyboard amps but then i got hooked on the idea of 5 way sound. perhaps 5 studio monitors would be good...or three monitors and two keyboard amps for gigging?...i just dont know :confused:

6. thats cool...i was thinking about a quadraphnic setup a while ago, setting one speaker up in each corner of the room/venue and then rig up a pan pedal, and then pan all the loops and such in several place in the room, then i started to go mental and started to think about 8 or 10 speakers (several on the floor, so above them in the air), and then rig up a joystick type sound controller and then move the loops all around the room...then i realized I'm poor...:)

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, I started to get into all of that multiple-surround-speaker flying-pan business, and while it certainly can be done, it is brutally expensive. I ended up deciding the cost-to-benefit ratio wasn't even close to worth it (for me).

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Mine is not in stereo but rather one clean and one effects channel.

But if you want to show and tell then I'll need your help to carry them all....

[​IMG]

9. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Digitech GNX4
    Aphex 207 Tube Stereo Instrument/mic Pre
    Aphex 204 Aural Exciter w/Optical Big Bottom
    Mackie 1402 VLZ (main mix)
    QSC PLX 3402
    2 - Euphonic Audio VL210

Basses:
    Stambaugh 7
    Stambaugh 8
    Stambaugh 9

10. hehe yeah me too. quadrophony wouldnt be too bad i think...maybe...a lower end pair of studio monitors can be had for about....£250...i dont play gigs yet but if i did id go straight to the PA because i use all manners of other sounds as well as bass so i could perhaps justify it on that basis. then again to play bass through studio monitors id probably need a sub.

ive got so much crap to sort out soon though, its really not worth daydreaming about all this stuff. i need to find a place to live and a job in the next month. eek.

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    My bass goes into a digital Echoplex (which is mono), then:

4ms Pedals Fuzz Jade/Noise Swash (can be run stereo or cascaded)
    4ms Stereo trem/panneur
    Lexicon Vortex
    EHX 2880 stereo looper

After the 2880 it goes to a Mesa Walkabout into a Mesa 1x15, and a Crate 1x15 combo. It's kind of lame having one really nice amp and one pretty terrible amp, but it gets the job done for the time being. I'd like to add a stereo 4ms Phaseur and a Tube Works stereo tube spring reverb down the line.

I like the stereo setup for my purposes because my band is just three people; bass/organ (me), cello, and drums. But it's difficult to justify having so much to lug for just little old me, so time will tell if I'll actually gig with this setup.

12. same here...maybe if i could figure out how to make a living out of it...but until then, stereo is about as far as i can go :)

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Robert Fripp's current soundscapes rig can be set up for quadrophonic sound -- VG-88, GR-1, GP-100, and four Eventide Ultra Harmonizers. :D

OK, it's not a bass rig per se, but w/ the synths he can still get some tasty bass sounds out of it.

14. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Florida
    I wish I lived in the land of Crimson.

Dang, he's kickin it oldschool with the GR's.

Oh, and that eventide setup would only set you back about $22k.

15. bah, pocket money!

16. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Stereo bass why??? Bass is non-directional that's why sub-woofers work with stereo's. Now spliting your signal so you can have highs go to effects and lows go direct that is useful. Checkout Bootsy Collins sometimes. His bass distortion sounds real clean because the signal is split most the time. So you hear the effected sound, but at same time big fat bass note underneight. Spliting the signal should make all effects on bass sound cleaner.

17. because we can :smug:

i wouldn't say that bass is non-directional all the time. I know in most genres basses are all about lows, but that doesn't have to happen...just listen to Michael Manring's song Helios...I believe he and Victor Wooten each have a bass where each string can be panned to a side...I don't know any of victor's songs, but listen to helios, and tell me you can't tell that there is stereo splitting going on

18. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    here's my dual channel rig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I'd like to see something backing up the claim that bass is non-directional.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sound only starts becoming non-directional to human ears below around 100Hz, and really below about 50Hz. So that doesn't really apply to the sound from a bass guitar, which has a significant amount of higher frequencies than that (the fundamentals of the top strings, and all the harmonics from the lower strings (which are louder than the fundamental in most cases)).