Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stereo speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fat_o_bastard, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I have a Sansui amp from the 70s that I have a portable cd player hooked up to and some Quest speakers (not guitar speakers). I heard from a guy that has the same amp as me that he used it to amplify his bass guitar for a number of years. The problem is, I didn't get a chance to ask him what kind of speakers he used. My question, Would these speakers I have that I bought for playing cd's through be able to handle a bass guitar signal?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still trying to learn about all this stuff.

Thanks for any help

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm not all too familiar with those brands, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. The signal from an instrument is hotter than that of a CD player, and the way I see it, it would take some real army-tank speakers (normal stereo speakers, that is) to tolerate a straight bass signal. I tried it once through a Panasonic amp and Polk Audio speakers and it sounded like pure, unadulterated crap.