1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stereo speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fat_o_bastard, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I have a Sansui amp from the 70s that I have a portable cd player hooked up to and some Quest speakers (not guitar speakers). I heard from a guy that has the same amp as me that he used it to amplify his bass guitar for a number of years. The problem is, I didn't get a chance to ask him what kind of speakers he used. My question, Would these speakers I have that I bought for playing cd's through be able to handle a bass guitar signal?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still trying to learn about all this stuff.

Thanks for any help

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm not all too familiar with those brands, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. The signal from an instrument is hotter than that of a CD player, and the way I see it, it would take some real army-tank speakers (normal stereo speakers, that is) to tolerate a straight bass signal. I tried it once through a Panasonic amp and Polk Audio speakers and it sounded like pure, unadulterated crap.