Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo Tube Preamp!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by powermans, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Greetings Fellow D/Ber's
    I am always looking to improve my sound and,to this end I continue to experiment with different ideas.
    My set-up at present consists of a Czech bass using Corelli strings and the following transducers.
    1. Underwood 2.Double Big Twin 3. Fishman.
    into a "Trace Elliot 715" Combo.

I am generally happy with the sound out of the THREE transducers and with a little playing with the EQ on the Trace get a reasonable sound.

Being one to experiment , I thought of trying to incorporate more than just ONE transducer at a time and about a week ago I picked up an "ALTO Stereo TUBE pre-amp.
    Well after trying the underwood with the K&K / and then the Fishman to the K&K etc. I have started to get some VERY nice tones...early days yet.... but have varied the scope of sounds quite dramatically from just using the one Pick-up at a time!

The ALTO has a 20db pad which works well as I was starting to get overload coming straight through to the amp also , you get a nice variation using the phase reverse on each channel. Finally, I note a nice warm sound by increasing the Drive control on each channel,the 12AX7 valves really give a new sound to my Trace.

I nearly bought the DBX Pre-amp but was put off by the price being over DOUBLE what the ALTO cost.
    Price here in AUSSIE for the Alto was $249.00 about $140.00 US.
    Anybody else trying this approach?????

Regards,

Mick