Stereo -vs- 2 channel mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Aug 11, 2004.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Folks...what are the pros and cons of using a stereo head vs a two channel mono head. Thanks.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What's he difference? My Stewart 2.1 is technically dual-mono, but can just as easily be run in stereo. I just don't have a setup on my bass or in my rig to pan a signal left and another signal right.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the biggest upside is you can use more cabinets
    typically a mono head will run at 4 ohms so you are limited to 2 8 ohm cabinets max
    the second upside is you can bridge the amps to get more power - if you bridge say, an eden wt-800 into an 8 ohm 4x10 it will push out 400 watts - using that same cabinet with an eden wt-400 will anly put about 250 watts into it
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I just sorta think of Stereo amps as like.... better, really. lol. I mean... just the concept of them. How's it ever gonna hurt to have the flexibility of 2 power amps? Well.. for SS anyways. With tubes, you land 300W and your all set... but thats another story.

Think if the SVT3-pro had two 450W power amps. Fuhgetaboutit!!!! :hyper: SEE YA QSC!

But... its the real world... and the 3Pro has big limitations :(

Stereo amps go both ways... mono and stereo.... so if you get the amp that goes best with your cabs, its hard to strike out. You could plug your big cab in mono for playing a gig, and maybe use it in stereo mode with less wattage when your just rehearsing. I like that versatility :)
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    IvanMike, its running a poweramp stereo or dual mono, not the difference between stereo and mono power-amps

Since basses tend to be mono, i dont think there's too much need for going stereo. If you have some stereo effects, then you can use it (though i dont know if it will be better if you do it), but dual mono is good as well. And if you bridge, then both are the same
  6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I use a "stereo" setup, but really it is more of a "high" and "low" and not a "left" and "right." My 2x12 cab is setup as the bass cab, a clean big sound. And the 4x10 is EQ'd much brighter and is where all the effects (Including overdrive) are sent. By adjusting the relative volumes I can achieve a great wet/dry mix.
  7. weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    In addition to what renfield808 said, you can also use the two sides of a stereo amp to overcome some issues with different loads on two or more cabinets. I'm no expert, so please check my math...

If you have an 8ohm cab and a 4ohm cab and put them together, the resulting load is going to be 2.667. But the 4ohm cab is going to receive twice as much power as the 8ohm cab (eg, if you are pumping in 600 watts, the 8ohm cab will get 200 and the 4ohm cab will get 400). With a stereo amp, you can set the gain for each side separately.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so i can't read................ :p
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, let's think about this: the original poster said stereo head vs a two channel mono head . He could be talking about a full stereo head such as some made by SWR, versus a 2-channel mono head like the SVT. In which case your first post was correct!