Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo vs bridge mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marineman227, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I was just wondering what the difference in these is. Like is it a different way of wiring the cab or what? I'm looking at running a single 4x10 cab for now most likely and don't know which power rating i should be looking at on the power amp to run the cab. help me please

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Stereo means two independent channels of amplification.

Bridged mono means the two channels are linked together and connected in series to produce a mono signal that is double the output voltage* of a single channel.

*For any given input voltage and gain setting, that's 4x the power, and typically about 3x the maximum power.

3. so how do you mono bridge it if you plan to only use one cab? is there like a condensor or something you can get for it to run the 2 lines into one or what? i've never used anything other than a small combo amp so i'm trying to learn all i can before i get my new setup.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Most, but not all power amps have a switch for bridged mono. Check with the amp's owner's manual. No condensor needed. ;)