Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereolab Singer Dies In Bike Accident

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oddentity, Dec 12, 2002.

1. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    http://music.yahoo.com/launch/news/.../music/launch/news/launch/rock/20021212/20/p2

:(

Stereolab Singer Dies In Bike Accident
    December 12, 10 a.m. ET, Launch

Stereolab vocalist Mary Hansen died Monday (December 9) in London when she was hit by a car while riding her bicycle. She was 36.
    An official statement said: "The suddenness of her death has shocked the band. Mary was a special person. Our thoughts are with her family and friends who will miss her greatly."

Stereolab formed in 1990 and Australian native Hansen joined the London-based band in 1992. The group has recorded eight studio albums the most recent of which was 2001's Sound-Dust.

Hansen was born January 11, 1966 in Maryborough, Brisbane. The band says her funeral will take place next week in her hometown.

London police are investigating the accident.

-- Darryl Morden, Los Angeles

2. That's sad. I don't have their most recent records, but do own a couple of their albums and have seen them live before. They were a great band.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :mad: people need to be more aware of cyclists. some folks get in a car and then they think the world ceases to exist around them.

what a shame.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :( :( That's horrible.

5. When I first saw the post I thought it was a motorcycle accident. In the end I guess it doesn't make much difference.

Very sad. :( RIP

Mike

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I feel lucky to have seen them a few years ago. They opened with "Miss Modular" and put on a great show. <sigh>

7. Yeah, that sucked. I have Tomato Emperor Ketchup (?) and the (expensive!) B-side disc that has "French Disco" on it...

Saw them live with Cinderpop and Sloan @ The Commodore, here in Vancouver, back in 1995 or 1996. I started following the band after hearing French Disco live...

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's sad news. They're a great band; I saw them maybe six years ago at the Glass House in Pomona, Calif., and it was a really cool show. It was a real trip to see old Farfisas and Moogs still alive and in use.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's a shame, all right. I've seen the 'Lab three times: once on the side stage at Lollapaloozapa (sic), and twice at the cool local club: once headlining, the next opening for Sonic Youth.

She also performed on the Moonshake album "Dirty and Divine" (just one of many side projects).