Stereolab Singer Dies In Bike Accident

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oddentity, Dec 12, 2002.

1. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    http://music.yahoo.com/launch/news/.../music/launch/news/launch/rock/20021212/20/p2

:(

Stereolab Singer Dies In Bike Accident
    December 12, 10 a.m. ET, Launch

Stereolab vocalist Mary Hansen died Monday (December 9) in London when she was hit by a car while riding her bicycle. She was 36.
    An official statement said: "The suddenness of her death has shocked the band. Mary was a special person. Our thoughts are with her family and friends who will miss her greatly."

Stereolab formed in 1990 and Australian native Hansen joined the London-based band in 1992. The group has recorded eight studio albums the most recent of which was 2001's Sound-Dust.

Hansen was born January 11, 1966 in Maryborough, Brisbane. The band says her funeral will take place next week in her hometown.

London police are investigating the accident.

-- Darryl Morden, Los Angeles

2. That's sad. I don't have their most recent records, but do own a couple of their albums and have seen them live before. They were a great band.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :mad: people need to be more aware of cyclists. some folks get in a car and then they think the world ceases to exist around them.

what a shame.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :( :( That's horrible.

5. When I first saw the post I thought it was a motorcycle accident. In the end I guess it doesn't make much difference.

Very sad. :( RIP

Mike

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I feel lucky to have seen them a few years ago. They opened with "Miss Modular" and put on a great show. <sigh>

7. Yeah, that sucked. I have Tomato Emperor Ketchup (?) and the (expensive!) B-side disc that has "French Disco" on it...

Saw them live with Cinderpop and Sloan @ The Commodore, here in Vancouver, back in 1995 or 1996. I started following the band after hearing French Disco live...

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's sad news. They're a great band; I saw them maybe six years ago at the Glass House in Pomona, Calif., and it was a really cool show. It was a real trip to see old Farfisas and Moogs still alive and in use.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's a shame, all right. I've seen the 'Lab three times: once on the side stage at Lollapaloozapa (sic), and twice at the cool local club: once headlining, the next opening for Sonic Youth.

She also performed on the Moonshake album "Dirty and Divine" (just one of many side projects).