Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by coloradok1d, Mar 19, 2003.

1. coloradok1d

coloradok1d Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Something that I heard: Any astronaut that has left the earths magnetic belt ie. any astronaut that has gone to the moon is sterile. Is this true? I think it is but I'm gulible.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    While leaving the protection of the Earth's magnetic field exposes one to radiation from the sun, I'm not sure it's enough to make you sterile. Nowadays astronauts are only allowed a certain amount of radiation exposure until they are grounded. That is, once they have reached their limit of exposure, they ain't going into space no more. It's a bit of a problem with the space station since it's orbit is in a less protected region of the Earth's magnetic field, and astronauts receive their full alloted radiation exposure after just one tour on the space station.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's also what makes a trip to mars so difficult.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    they leave tons of frozen semen on earth... just in case
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Where in the world did you get that info from? :)
  6. The Navy.

Sorry, really bad pun.:D

Rock on
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    from a friend of a friend whose daughter goes to college with the son of a dude that cleans the lockers of some astronauts :cool:
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They get a little cup and a magazine filled with photographs of Tang, being served in every way imaginable!

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    They don't have it so bad. Standing in close proximity to me, for even short periods of time, could cause sterility. ;)

(see "is this a joke?" thread)
  10. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    What that a joke?;)