Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steriod use in baseball....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Geeze what a surprise, wasn't is painfully obvious when a 37 year old hits 73 home runs?

Drew & Mike here in Detroit are reading some Barry Bonds reports and it's hilarious. This guy is such a Jacka$$, who likes this guy? And who really cares about his meaningless records? Baseball is such a joke these days, as are most pro sports.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Look up Gary Sheffield's story about his former relationship with Bonds. He just seems like a completely self-centered jerk and that's consistent with other stories I've heard as well. It seems like he does whatever is in his interest regardless of how it affects anyone else.

brad cook

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I love baseball, and I actually am a big fan of Bonds. I'm not surprised at all that he took steriods (how can you be?) but it's not like he is the only professional athlete to ever do so. Hell, he's not even the only current all star athlete in baseball to be taking them. But it's unfortunate when anyone thinks they have to cheat to get ahead, just imagine what he may have done sans drugs and his rep would not have been tarnished and his records questioned. He deserves what he gets, but overall from a fan standpoint it's a sad day for the game.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like Barry Bonds since his Pittsburgh days. You're just jealous because you won't be the best at anything in your life. Bonds is a great baseball player regardless of if he uses steroids.

Steroids won't improve your ability to see and hit a baseball traveling at you at 90 miles an hour.

-Mike

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Nope, I will never be the best at anything. Bonds is such a great baseball player, so he needs to cheat to get ahead. His records don't mean a thing anymore.

No one ever claimed steroids improve your ability to see and hit the ball, where did you hear this at? What steroids do is cause a ball that would normally be hit 340 feet to now go 440 feet. Amazing how that works out.....

6. to quote jimmy from south park

"anyone that uses steroids to be better at their sport is nothing but a weak loser"

Profanity removed by JMX

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I can't recall anyone saying that either. Bonds has been hitting well over .300 the last four years, and steroids has nothing to do with that. You can argue that the ball flies farther because he is a steroid user, but you can't argue his skills at the plate.

My comment was not directed at you sir, just a general defense of Bonds since I am a big fan.

-Mike

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm with you, BB. Like the ballparks aren't being built small enough & the pitchers gotta throw the ball down the middle/belt high to get a strike called...MLB oughta just allow aluminum bats into the picture & be done with it.

A lotta 340' OUTs these days go for dingers.

Not too long ago, Bonds was an attractive Fantasy pick 'cause he could hit 25 HRs and steal 40+ bases.

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm not saying Bonds is a bad ballplayer, he's a great ball player. His numbers before he became a "superstar" prove that.
    However I think the steriod use has been responsibe for the past few years. At 37, your considered 5 years past your prime. Hitting 73 home runs at this point in a career seems very unatural. Steroids also make you more immune to injuries and pains.
    And true, ball players are so beefed up these days, i'm sure more use steroids. Just look at some of these guys, they are tanks. And look how small some of these ballparks are these days as well. No wounder records are being shattered.

I'd like to see someone hit 60 homes runs on a diet of hotdogs and beer, like Ruth did.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I kinda chuckled last year at Giambi...he was feeling tired, lethargic, etc.
    I thought-
    No, he's just starting to feel like a normal 35-year old. Join the club, pal.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I thought steroids increased joint injuries and joint pain.

There are tons of other baseball players that take steroids as well. I think it is more of a question of who isn't on steroids.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmmm..............

Scenario A: Baseball player hits 70+ HR's and bats .300, draws fans to the park, team makes a lot of money, in turn baseball makes a lot of money.

Scenario B: Baseball player hits 3 HR's and bats .250, ballpark never sold out or even close to it. Team makes no money, in turn baseball makes no money.

Hmmmmm...........If I own a company and I have an employee bringing in the big bucks, I wouldn't give a rats @$$! Baseball is entertainment as well as being a skilled sport.

Bud Selig wants to have his cake and eat it too! I can't stand that man!! Pete Rose belongs in the Hall Of Fame, period! Just my 2 cents. Hank Aaron was how old when he broke Babe Ruth's record? Has nothing to do with steroids! The whole deal is a bunch of crap!

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Are you saying Bonds didn't use steroids? He admitted that he did. It's in the news today. Anyway when Aaron broke the record he was obviously in decline and that year he hit half the number of homeruns than he had the previous year and the year after that he almost halved his '74 HR numbers. Bonds, on the other hand, went from 34 HRs to 49 HRs to 73 HRs over the course of three seasons. Since then he's been in the steady high 40's. Also, here's a guy who hit around .300 pretty steadily all his life but suddenly he's hitting .360 and .370 a season? I find it real hard to believe that he would have achieved what he did without some chemical help. He's always been a helluva athlete and a helluva baseball player but you just don't have enormous gains in athleticism the closer you get to age 40. It just doesn't work like that.

brad cook

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    So I guess money is the most important part? Baseball is entertainment yes, but it's also competitive. Should we just ignore the fact that what Bonds is doing is illigle? If your employee was bringing in big bucks illigally would it still not matter? That's what Bonds is basically doing. How would you feel if your baseball team got beaten by a homerun from a juiced up Barry Bonds? That wouldn't help your team out very much.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It should matter; there are laws a-plenty in the business world, too...for good reason.
    Ask Martha Stewart or that yahoo from Enron.

Baseball is entertainment; it is also sport & IMO, that is #1.
    (Unlike the WWE which is entertainment first & foremost).
    I'm somewhat of a purist...why are 15-9 baseball games so 'entertaining'?

Aaron broke the career HR record & never hit even 50 in any given season.
    That's pretty damn amazing, IMO.

16. Any record Barry sets to me is seriously tainted, cause he's totally a roid monster.

I figured the Boston series would make baseball great again, and IMO this is the best postseason I've ever seen (granted, I'm only 18) but with people like Barry Bonds and Gary Sheffield on the scene, it really ruins baseball.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

So you're maybe saying Roger Clemins may be on something? Nolan Ryan? Paul Molitor? Ricky Henderson? If you take care of yourself and work out, anything is possible! As you get older, you get wiser and more disciplined. How old was Aaron when he retired? How many ballplayers even make it to their late 30's, early 40's? Ricky Henderson was declining but was still better than the average ballplayer! Basketball? Michael Jordan? Kareem was what....mid 50's? Isn't it routine for Hockey players to play into their 40's?

In any case, Baseball and all sports are not squeaky clean and Bud Selig needs to stop acting like the high and mighty savior! I actually don't care about Bonds but Pete Rose belongs in the HOF and that's just one of the reasons I can't stand Selig!

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

» March 12, 2002: Baseball czar Bud Selig announced he's going to start enforcing the 60–40 rule, which says teams can't have an assets/debts ratio below that level. According to Doug Pappas, an expert on baseball finances, "At best, this is one more example of Bud's arbitrary and selective enforcement of MLB's rules, retroactively punishing owners who've spent more on players than Bud would like. At worst, it's yet another grotesque case of Selig, he of the permanent conflict of interest, twisting the rules for his own benefit. In 1995, his Milwaukee Brewers were so far in debt they couldn't borrow money to contribute to the construction of their new park. Forbes estimated that as of the 1997 season, the Brewers' debt had risen to an incredible 97% of franchise value. Selig said nothing about the 60/40 rule. But the Brewers' new park opened in 2001. The first-year attendance spike sent club revenues to a record $113 million. Isn't it amazing how the Commissioner suddenly decided to enforce the rule just when his own club could finally meet the standard?"

Just one of the many reasons I can't stand the man! Makes up his own rules as he goes along! :spit: Wanna clean up MLB? Start with Bud Selig!!

Oh, and didn't he move his own team from the AL to the NL? I wonder why? Hmmmmm...

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Barry Bonds 73 home run season should not be in the record books. Nor should Sammy Sosa's 70. He also admitted to steroid use. And if Bonds breaks Ruth's and Aaron's career marks, that should not go into the record books either.

Another baseball steroid comment. Jason Giambi used steroids, in two of the worst seasons of his career, eh? And now the Yankees are going to try to get out of the remainder of his contract? How much you want to bet that if it was Jeter or A-Rod, or if Giambi had good seasons, that the Yankees wouldn't be screaming 'Lawsuit!'

And now non baseball. Not looking to good for Marion Jones' 'I never used steriods/HGH' assertations, is it? We now have two people besides her ex husband who claim to have seen her inject herself with various substances.

I just wonder how long it is until some of these poor devils wind up like Lyle Alzado?

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yeah, that is what I worry about. I was a young guy during Alzado's glory days, but I do remember him. It was sad to see him die the way he did. I fear that I will see the players I have grown up with in my lifetime die that way too. That is going to suck more than anything else.

-Mike