1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling 4 HS settings question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kramerj, Mar 26, 2013.

1. kramerj

kramerj Supporting Member

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
    All,

I have played a single H Sterling 4 (American) for a number of years. It's strung with Ernie Ball flats and is the main bass I play at gigs--in a 7-piece folk-rock band, a 3-piece folk trio, and a 5-piece Turkish group. Recently I had an opportunity to purchase a Sterling HS strung with DR Hi-Beams. It's a beauty, lightweight, and has incredibly fast action.

At home, it's fun to explore the wide range of tone settings provided by the additional neck pickup. I especially like using all coils because of the enhanced note thickness and volume consistency across the strings.

However, on gigs, I'm finding the Single H (series) setting does the job best---just as it does on the other bass. I use a wireless during sound checks in order to get an idea of how the bass sounds in the band mix from the audience's perspective. The all-coils setting that sounds great at home is just not as articulate as the single H and tends to get a bit lost. Granted, the bass is still quite new, and I haven't explored the bass, middle, and treble knobs completely. I have no problem using both basses with the single H setting--the flats and roundwounds provide nice variation--but I wondered whether some of you HS owners have other settings that work well on gigs. I got a couple of good suggestions on the Ernie Ball Forum and wanted to see if others here wanted to chime in.

Thanks,

John