Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling-5 versus Stingray-5 neck dimensions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    can some of you that know the MM's well tell me the diff in the Sterling vs. Stingray 5-strings at the nut? tried to find on the Musicman home website but the technicals are not there. at least not that I can find.

thanks mucho
    z

2. ...There is no such thing as a 5-string Sterling I'm afraid. S.U.B. 5?

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As Martybass posted, there is no Sterling 5, but the Stingray 5 actually has the same electronics as the Sterling (with a 5-string pickup).

However, IIRC, there were some posts on the Ernie Ball forums, or at the Dudepit, about the posibility of the next Limited Edition Music Man Anniversary Bass being a 5-string Sterling...

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  5. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ahhh... so THAT's why there was no 5 model shown on the website. duhhhhhhhhh

so is the string spacing on the Sray-5 the same as on the regular stingray?
    did I just dream this: I thought that the Sterling string spacing/nut width was analogous to a typical J-bass, while the Stingray was P-sized. This I'm not dreaming about: the stingray is WAY wider than my Hamer cruise
    even though I have long fingers I like the tight spacing, because I'm basically lazy :meh:

z

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Cool!!!
    I really dig MM basses, if their 5's had a wider spacing, then I would be all over it like a fat kid on a candy bar!!

But I did notice from the link that Mr.Ball commented on how the "vast majority" liked the SR5 spacing. Well, yeah!! because if you have one your gonna like it!!

I haven't met really that many players, if any, who thought that the spacing was middle of the road and had no preference. Either you like it, so you play tighter spacing, or you don't and play wider. Sure it may not bother you, but it will influence your purchase of a SR5 or not.

More than any, I've heard guys saying (and this comes from hanging around WAY too long at an all bass store) that they wish MM offered a wider spacing on their 5's.

Hmm... I think a poll is in line here!!!