1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling 5HS bass, new to me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    MMM... maple neck! Ash body!

ry%3D480.

Will go well with this ...

ry%3D480.

LOVE the "unfinished" neck feel. Thin layer of wax\oil from the factory & a bit more after I followed the video. Feels fast. Oh how I missed maple... the aggression, the high end, the clarity OR is it the ash?

REGARDLESS... its a total beast. Is a VERY different flair from my limited edition Sterling 5HH PDN made of mahogany & Bongo HH in all settings. I can get it warm with the middle setting & a bit with the bridge & neck single coil. This being a HS I'm partial to want to utilize the SC settings. I really like them both, you do get that volume drop but I will cut back the volume on the other settings. The neck single coil is great, passive vibe with some a flair of active aggression. The bridge SC is all out... its like the bridge H with the lows cut.
    The other settings that are the same in the HH are the same on the HS... the only difference is you can really tell maple\ash vs pau ferro\mahogany. Theres more definition in all of them with this maple\ash combo which makes the 3 seem much more different. Coils 2&3 vs coils 1&4 in the PDN HH dont sound terribly different & they are both warm (When I had a regular Sterling HH the difference was more pronounced). Coils 2&3 on the HS are much more aggressive then either of those on the HH & thats why I bought this... to have more aggressive settings

If I were to have only 1 Sterling... a HS or a HH Its still the HH by far. I like the consistent volume between the pickup selector.

This bass WONT be in the keeper for life club. If another "WOW" PDN comes along or a new model this would be the guy to go. As of now... the only bass I feel comfortable with & is so versatile on the fly for a cover band is a Sterling so its great to have one with a warm bias & aggressive bias!

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Nice. The blue and maple combo is pretty!

My Sterling 5H IS my keeper-for-life!

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I've learned to never say never... there could be a shocking sparkle or active\passive ... who knows. My Sterling 5HH & Bongo 5HH are keepers for life. Same with my GK NEO cabs & Genz Benz heads... its good being "Out of GAS" eh Stu?

4. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yes. Yes, it is. Music Man Sterling. The cure for GAS. :D

5. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Great looking bass! Love the color combo.

6. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    tunaman. you have excellent taste. I tried buying a pdn sterling when they came out but they had already sold out. I'm hoping they see for to do a similar configuration soon. I'd live a roasted neck and ebony board.

the sparkles are pretty freaking cool too though.

some of those green ones are AMAZING!

7. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Tuna, I don't know if you do any slapping, and I don't know if you have tried a single H Sterling. But, if you haven't, and you do slap, then I highly recommend checking out a single H in Parallel mode (which the HS and HH don't have) and trying some slap bass on it, if you ever get a chance. I think it is THE SHIZ for slap tone.

8. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Or, if you ever get down to the DC area, drop me a line and you can try mine. :)