Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling and Stingray... What is the difference???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlapper, Mar 17, 2002.

1. I've seen both of these at my local music shop and was wondering what the differences were... They sure looked the same. BTW I've never played a Sterling...

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Basically, the Sterling is a bit smaller and has a J neck profile, while the Stingray (which is the original) has a P neck profile. Also, the Sterling has coil switching and a three band EQ stock, while the 'Ray four doesn't.

Plus, the Sterling is better that the Stingray. ;)

Try a search for more info - the differences have been covered at length.

3. The Sterling is better?!?!?!?!!? I gotta run out to my music sote then cause the Sterling, brand new, was $400 less than the StingRay4!

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah you do!

i find the sterling much easier to play and has a bigger variety of sounds.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was just kidding, fella!

I happen to prefer the Sterling - the neck and balance just feel right to me. Others prefer the feel of the Stingray.

There's been a lot of discussion about the sonic differences between the two. I fall into the camp that doesn't see a lot of difference between the two - I hear more differences between the different body and fingerboard woods than the models.

Sterlings are priced slightly higher than Stingrays, I think because of the three band being stock. I suspect a Stingray with a three band costs much the same as a Sterling.

My advice? Go play them both, and go with the one that feels and sounds better to you!

6. I would actually love to go out and buy one, but, sadly, I am Canadian... What this means is that when I get paid at my mininum wage job, I get paid in Canadian currency, and the Canadian price for a Stingray is about $1600-1700. That would put me out of comission for a LONG time... The sad thing is that next week I will finally have the money and I don't think I will be able to resist the call of the Music Man...:)

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Jason - howzat' Moses neck working out for you?

And I agree with you - I'm constantly amazed at the variety of thud and boom I can dial up with my Sterling! I don't know how I lived without one.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Why is that sad? Take advantage of the opportunity to contribute to the Global Economy! :D

I see from your profile that you play a P, so you may prefer the Stingray...but try them both.

Tell us more about these two - what flavor are they? Does the Stingray have a two band or three band EQ? (Count the knobs - three is two band, four is three band, five is three band with piezo.) Does the Sterling have a piezo? (Once again, count the knobs - four means no, five means yes.)

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    There's a 3-band option for the Sting Ray.
    And there's a piezo option for the Sterling.

Here you'll find all the options (inc. plate and colour options) for all MM models :
    http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/build/

Have fun

All the best,

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's why that Stingray costs more - the piezo. I've never tried a piezo-equipped model, which is probably a good thing - I don't have any $$$ for another GAS attack.

Go play 'em both, and have fun driving yourself mad!

That link jaylanb posted will drive you mad with desire - beware! :eek:

11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Now & then you can find a used Sterling for about $700-800 on BassGear Com or some other listings, so that may be an option for you.

You got the facts, I just wanted to testify that
    I totally dig my Sterling- Great pre-amp, amazing tonal variety.
    MM basses hang with products costing twice as much- Everything is there- the wood, the finish,
    the build quality, everything.
    And Ernie Ball will always give support, advice, or help if you need 'em to! I just wish that they would hire me to work up there in awesome SLO, CA!!
    (Anybody at the factory listening?:cool: )

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    This one is my favourite from the MM builder (a 5-string StingRay) :

[​IMG]

All the best,

13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Nice choice-
    The natural finish costs $100 more, but it is super-nice! They use the nicest-grained ash for the bodies. I love my Sunburst, but I always kinda think that I shoulda waited for a natural- But once I played mine hadda have it!!! BTW, the MM necks are SO Fine!!!!

14. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    The pickguards are a different shape, too. :D

15. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I like both but if I had to choose (and I have) I'd go instead for a StingRay 5. I'm not saying its better than either the StingRay or the Sterling, it's more to do with the extra facility that the low B gives you. Also, because the neck mass is greater you get a really dense but zingy tone - perfect for me. The G&L L-2500 is also a really nice instrument if you like that beefy humbucker sound.

16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    !!!!!:eek:

Is that the fretless (4-string for old-schoolers like me) STERLING in Natural Ash WITH THE PIEZO BRIDGE (Note the mix pot)&Pearloid pickguard!!!!?????

I...MUST...HAVE ...THAT....BASS....

I....MUST ....HAVE....THAT....BASS...

I....MUST.....HAVE .....THAT .....BASS

....That is REALLY nice

:D

17. this would be my next bass if i had the cash!

not sure bout the piezo, but i went fer it, more versatlie tone wise then, esspecially seeing as its fretless.
    i would replace all the hardware with black hardware, and try to find a white MM pickup and white knobs. also would put black nylon wound strings on it! :)

sorry, went off on one there :)

*Si*