Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling bad slap sounding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Hi all.
    I got a Musicman Sterling, I'm happy and proud of it but there's a problem, it doesn't sound good when I slap..
    I thought that musicman basses were great for slap..
    Maybe it is only the sterling series?
    Maybe I'm a bad slapper (dont think so.. ;)

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Have you tried a fresh battery? I've found my Sterling really prefers a brand-new battery to sound its best.

Also, what position are you using on the coil switch? I don't slap, but that would be helpful info for others.

3. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    How old are your strings?

If they're dead, then your slap tone will suffer. Replacing them may give you the sound you're missing.

I have been boiling old bass strings to stretch their life for over 20 yrs. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I've never had any issues with string breakage due to corrosion or water separating the windings. Problems occur when your stings are so old that they're dented by the frets and when the portions of the string that get bent (around the tuning post, over the bridge) become fatigued.

(or fashion pvc piping to hold your non-polar solvent of choice, or use an ultrasonic cleaner, etc... please don't start *this* argument again)

4. How does it sound different from a bass that slaps well for you?

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    When I owned a Sterling I thought its best slap tone was with the toggle switch all the way up. I then set the mid flat, bass about 3/4 and the treble flat, if I remember correctly. Could be what the others mentioned also.

6. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Check out how old this thread is! LOL
    It must be the strings mine sounds like a ducks butt when slapped with old D'addario's on it. All the Spectors that I owned and the Ibanez I just sold sounded better slapped.

7. Same Here. I need to Replace the Strings on my Sterling. They do not sound very good anymore when Slapped.

8. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I had a sterling for years... It sounded *great* when I slapped it.

battery & strings would be my guess..

9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Had an "onyx" one for a while. Played like melted butter, super light weight, looked killer.

Alas, it sounded weak. Color me not a fan.

[​IMG]

10. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Well I just put on some DR SS medium Lo Riders because my local shop was out of nickel.
    It slaps fine now but the SS strings are way too bright even with the trebble cut 100%. I think after a few hours play they should mellow out some, but this will be the last set of SS strings I buy.