Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling/Bartollini MMC replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Jun 26, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a new MMC Bartolinni pickup that I am considering putting in my MM Sterling. My questions are:

a) Do I need a different pre-amp to use this,
    b) Can I wire this passive if I decide to
    c) Where can I get a wiring diagram?
    d) Can it be done by a guy with no past guitar wiring experience, but with a good sense of mechanics?

Thanks,

Tony in Tampa

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    1. No.
    2. Yes, although obviously you then lose all on board eq
    3. The Bart pickups come with a wiring diagram. However, an important thing to do before starting is note what wires are going where before you unsolder pickup connections. Those will then need to be mapped to the wires on the Bart pickup, as colors probably won't match.
    4. If you have past soldering experience, I don't see why not although it's made somewhat more complicated because of the paralle/series switching wiring involved. If you haven't soldered before, be careful.

This diagram on the bart site may help you, it refers to replacing a pickup on a Stingray 5. But the sterling switch operation is the same as on the SR5 so this should be a good match.

http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/Music Man/musicman_5.htm

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tony, you have a PM incoming...