1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling by MM (SBMM) In Stores

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovinehost, May 1, 2009.

1. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
  2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    That Ray34 looks great.
    I'd love to check these out, though I don't need anything right now:ninja:

3. Bass Northwest, too.

Mike

4. They couldn't have picked worst colors for the SB14 though. The black looks okay but red and blue look really cheap to me.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That Sterling is the only four I want.:bassist:

6. They probably want most of them to look a bit tackier.

If they are as well built as real 'rays etc there would be a lot of people buying one of those and saving cash. But if it looks cheaper, people who were planning on buying a ray will still buy one (speculation).

Though I wouldnt mind a backup I guess . . . (though if I had the money for a new SB 'ray, I'd save a little bit more for a used EB 'ray).

7. I think you're right. They used to do that with Squiers. There used to be so many of them that were black with the white pickguard. Every time I saw a black bass with a white pickguard I thought "Squier" and "cheap". They've got a nice finish for the Ray34 with that sunburst, you'd think they'd at least do a little something nice with the SB14.

8. is it just me, or do the tuning keys on the SBMMs stick out crazy far?

9. It's not just you. They do stick out further. Quite a bit actually. Weird.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I hate how only the 5 has a maple FB. :atoz:

11. Sir Mudkip

Sir Mudkip

Feb 27, 2009
    haha Allans Music (adelaide, Australia) have had the 34/35 sterling stingrays in stock for a week and 1/2. Played both, only difference apart from the strings was the colors. Both are beautifully finished, and play lovely.

Compared them to the actual EB MM stingray through a Little Mark II with a GK? cab ( I think :bag:) and there was nearly no difference to the trained ear. Well worth the money in US, but in australia it will cost us $2000 au :bawl:

Go and buy one you wont regret it.

12. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I had to go to GC today (buddy needed some guitar strings), but they didn’t have any Sterlings in stock yet.

I’m kinda wanting one of those RAY34s in natural

I did pick up a used MIM Fender P for a decent price.

Knowing how I am, I’ll likely get the Sterling when I can play one, though. The MMs are just too out-of-my-budget; I simply won’t pay that much for a guitar.

13. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Anybody else find these in stores yet?

I'm curious how these compare to the US models. My local GC didn't have them yesterday either.

14. I wonder what makes the sb14 cost less. Less wood?

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have played all the new models. I also did play a 5 string with rosewood fingerboard. Playability wise, these are very close to the American models.... close but not quite the same quality. The woods aren't quite the same caliber as the american models. I played a ray5 and a stingray 5 with the same woods and the import was much heavier.

Overall, the bass craftsmanship is a 8.5 (standard Musicman quality being a 10). On three of the four basses I played fretwork was good. I also played one of the guitars and the fretwork and the neck were an 11!!. Tuners and other hardware are definitely cheaper, nothing that would drive you crazy.

The pickups have a funny shape to them, but I think there are the same size and have ceramic magnets. The preamp is probably the weakest link... The low end boost was a little "heavy" IMO. Not quite as defined as I would've liked. The mids seemed a little funny... not a direct as I would've liked, but the highs were OK.

I was able to compare these basses to the America counterparts directly with an amp I knew and in a quiet environment. It's much closer than the OLPs ever were and has advantages over the SUBs in that you have a "regular" finish, and the body shape is true Stingray...

If I were to buy one (I'm pretty sure I will), I would change the pickups and preamp and you would have a great bass.

16. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Thanks for the info Pickebass!, that's what I was looking for.

It sounds like I might be better off picking up a used Stingray for a couple hundred more. Although, when these imports start showing up on the used market it sounds like they will be tough to beat!