1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sterling by music man short scale, blemish from factory

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AjCalderon, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:19 PM.

1. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    Ordered the bass from guitar center back in April and it just arrived last night. Super stoked to finally get this thing but removing it from its box I noticed the top of the headstock had been sanded down to the raw wood and beveled which compared to the rest of the neck has a thin, smooth great feeling satin finish. I’m worried this is gonna cause uneven wear to the headstock and wondering if I should bite the bullet and have GC send me a replacement even if it takes forever or what I should accept as discount on this one to keep it. Everything else fit and finish wise is great. Stoked on how pretty the guitar is out the box. Setup was non existent out the box and badly in need Of bridge adjustments but frets seem nice with no noticeable sharp edges. Any suggestions on how to handle are appreciated. Been a while since I’ve bought new gear.

Attached Files:

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'd be sending that back. I know your bass is not a good example but in my experience EBMM has a great track record for QC. The odds of getting another solid player are in your favour.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Sterling by EBMM has nothing to do with EBMM and their factory it's just a licensed product that another company runs. That said I have not really heard anything bad about them either. I would send that back as well. That is a bizarre defect.

Ikkir, Waltsdog, mcnach and 4 others like this.
  4. Was it factory sealed? Wouldn't put it past GC to do that as a fix and send it out considering the last piece of trash they sent me.

andruca, strigidae, FritzM and 3 others like this.
  5. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    I’m not sure tbh. It came in Sterling box (no gig bag) but there was a guitar center return label in the box so they could have open and re taped the box.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Yep. That’s a customer return.

Send it on a round trip home

Waltsdog, andruca, strigidae and 7 others like this.
  7. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    looking like where this is probably heading even tho they said a replacement wouldn’t be available for me until December... the other option keep the guitar with a $30 credit lol. I laughed at them and told them that wouldn’t cover paying to make the guitar even near “like new” and the credit needs to be enough to do so or I want to keep the bass until the new one comes in December.

andruca and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Is this a purchase for a brand new bass? If it is I’d be extremely pissed.

TheReceder and AjCalderon like this.
  9. Send it back for a full refund and shop elsewhere. I'll never deal with MF/GC again. They're notorious for sending out crap from the wall or customer returns. AMS will have stock August 3 - Sterling StingRay RAYSS4 Short Scale Bass Guitar

Just had my first order with them. Sterling Ray5 and everything was factory sealed and tagged like it's supposed to be. They send a $10 coupon shortly after creating am account too. Good luck!

TheReceder and AjCalderon like this.
  10. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    Yup brand new from guitar center’s website back in April. They first offered me $30 and then $50 which I said was unacceptable since I can’t have it repaired to new for that. I asked for supervisor and they said one would call me back but if I didn’t like it I could send the bass back and they’d have new ones in DECEMBER. LOL.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  11. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

Personally, at this point, I'd tell them to send a full refund, and buy it somewhere else.

Ikkir, TheReceder, SirMjac28 and 5 others like this.
  12. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    More likely a customer nicked it, tried to cover that up and returned it.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if this ax felt superior to me in all ways:
    - take the money they offered (or more if you can get it)
    - wipe on some satin poly
    - play

if it had any other shortcomings re: feel, sound:
    - send it back, that 'blemish' isn't the only issue!

my point: i would never let the looks of an ax keep me from the best feeling/playing instrument. YMMV. good luck! :thumbsup:

14. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020

Thanks! I’m gonna set it up to playable tomorrow before work but everything else about the guitar was amazing regardless of price. Neck felt good minus the blemish, straight no sharp frets etc. I plan to mod it anyways this will just encourage me to start right away.

satin poly probably a good match for the factory?

anyone know if the direct replacement tuners for these are the HB7 or HB1?

also interested if anyone knows the knob size off hand. Haven’t had a chance to pull out an Allen wrench to pop a knob off yet but itching to buy some black ones. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

EatS1stBassist, onamission and JRA like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i mentioned "satin poly" because i interpreted "satin" from your earlier description --- the luthiers here would give you better, more clever advice. FWIW: i've recently used wipe-on poly (per luthier suggestion) to fix a neck edge after rolling that edge on a maple fretless neck. can i tell? yes. can anyone else? no! it's a non-issue. start a thread in luthier's corner and ask for advice. you'll get tons of the best remedies from cats who actually know --- they've got crazy experience and expertise.

one thing i've learned: don't let looks get in the way of a real player/playing. this place abounds with stories of folks letting axes go because they wanted something newer/shinier. they say they gave up some great playing instruments, they don't know why ("i was stupid"), and they regret it. there is no substitute for an instrument that your hands were meant to play! ;)

16. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I'd ask for $100 or send it back.

TheReceder and Nebula24 like this.
  17. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Music Tech magazine.
    Imagine a year from now, you're looking at that bass. Is the blemish going to annoy you, or will you have learned to live with it? Or...suppose you want to sell it on in the future - are you willing to take the cash hit that blemish might incur?

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'm no luthier but I know you gotta pick and choose where to use sandpaper on a new bass.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. TheReceder and mikewalker like this.
  20. Also, your new Sterling should have plastic on all the tuner pegs, pickup, and pick guard. Along with an inspection / assembly tag attached to one of the tuners. Mine was double boxed, with the factory inner box never opened.