sterling by music man short scale, blemish from factory

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AjCalderon, Jul 31, 2020.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If you got a bass that sells for $549 for $420, I’d go with that even if there are sanding marks on the headstock - especially if you’re planning to mod the bass. That lower starting price will help cushion the loss on a modded bass if you ever want to sell it. A modded bass will almost always sell for less than a stock instrument.

wraub and DogsNbeer like this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You should ask a Mod to change the thread title.

No-one believes that this is a factory issue; it is a Guitar Center issue.

FenderOli and sporadic29414 like this.
  3. And that's the only reason I'd send it back. I agree with everyone that it's a deal and a discount, but a new bass was purchased and MF/GC is notorious for sending out used / returned / blemished items as new. It's the principle of it. And people saying to expect issues with basses in the price range and deal with it is BS. I just received a $190 Ibanez GSRM20 and $350 Sterling Ray5, both which were flawless. This behavior from MF/GC is criminal fraud imo.

Hummergeist and Wood and Wire like this.
  4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Everyone wants a generous return policy, nobody wants a returned instrument.

EddiePlaysBass, jbhaugh and Slater like this.
  5. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    ... that is represented as factory fresh.

HearNoStevil and Wood and Wire like this.
  6. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Unless it was sold as a blem at a discount, I’d send it back. Or ask for a rebate.

7. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    I'm wondering if this is one that's previously been returned and then refurbished. Then sold to you.

8. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    sporadic29414 likes this.
  9. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Its a blem, second, damaged (by prior owner) and certainly a return. If you really like the feel and it plays and sounds like what you want I'd take the 420 deal. That sounds like it would be a decent price if one were to read that as an ad. If you don't like anything about the instrument itself like how it plays or feels then just send it back. There's always the chance on a 500 instrument of sharp frets, whooped neck, crackly electronics so listen with your ears and play with your fingers. No drama either way, just evaluate like you've never seen it before and if its a match, then keep, else send her back. Done!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd send it back. My criteria is answering the question, "Would I buy that in-person at a shop?" If the answer is, "No." I return it.

Wood and Wire and Hummergeist like this.
  11. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    From post #5:

12. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I would send it back. Something like that would probably annoy me every time I picked it up, even 10 years into the future. If the setup isn't good you won't even know if it plays nice yet and I wouldn't start messing with the setup before returning it.

No-brainer IMO: Return it.

13. moderatelyfunky

moderatelyfunky Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2020
    I just received the same bass from GC on Thursday. There was a return label in my box too, but in my case it’s for me if I want to ship it back, not from a prior return.

14. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Good to know. I may be misinterpreting the presence of a return label.

Just out of curiosity, did you also order back in April?

moderatelyfunky likes this.
  15. moderatelyfunky

moderatelyfunky Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Not exactly sure of the date, but yes it’s been on backorder for a looong time.

My baseless suspicion is that it was shipped from the factory like that. Mine has a minor ding in the neck and the assemblers forgot to install springs under the pickup. I don’t get the impression that QC is too tight at SBMM. At least right now.

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    as of late last night, MF had SBMM short scale stingrays in stock. since i've had MF shipments from GC and GC shipments from MF, it seems to me that they could send a replacement right now from MF.

17. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

That's no blemish.

* Somebody has removed a lot of wood, and completely reshaped the face of the headstock.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand instrument with that kind of cosmetic damage.

* Edit : I take that back, having just noticed the 3rd photo, and seeing it on a larger screen - it's just the lacquer that seems to have been removed - it's remotely possible it wasn't sprayed correctly in the factory, but should have been picked up by QC along the way.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    pcake likes this.
  18. More than likely, they're probably returns that they're shipping as new. That's usually why things mysteriously show up in stock much earlier than expected with MF and GC.

19. SexHaver420

SexHaver420

Dec 9, 2016
    Apparently I'm the minority here but that wouldn't bother me at all. I'd ding the headstock up by hitting it on something in a few days anyway. I'd just be like hey refund me a bit because this isn't new but other than that I really wouldn't care.

If your instruments don't have wear and tear you don't play them hard enough.

20. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    nothing mysterious about these - they appeared in stock on MF a few days ago, and have been shown as in stock ever since.

moderatelyfunky likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021