sterling by music man short scale, blemish from factory

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AjCalderon, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    @AjCalderon

Are you certain it has been sanded?

If you run your fingertips over it, does it change from sticky (on the lacquer) to slippery (on the bare wood)?

If you breathe on that area, is it moist & slippery (on the lacquer), and dry & sticky (on the bare wood)?

The more I look at those pictures, and the way the wood staining / figuring extends beyond the apparent area of sanding - I'm starting to wonder if it's just a very unusual, but natural change of colour in the wood (even though it does look exactly like an area that has had the lacquer removed).

2. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

So buy 2nd hand.

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    My guess is that it’s from the factory, done in an attempt to remove what was a black line at the end of the headstock from the knot that you can see on the end of the headstock. I just don’t see a scenario where a customer would have done that.

moderatelyfunky likes this.
  4. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    No, it does not look natural to me at all. It's too even. Someone, somewhere, picked up the wrong grit of sandpaper.

5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    That’s why I had to return a Ric I bought from them last year. Absolute Crap!!:rollno:

6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Just another example of why I use Sweetwater..:rollno:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  7. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    I would just try to get them to give you a discount. That is 100% B-stock, but it's a purely cosmetic defect; no serious chance of any problems there. Just seal it up with something if it makes you feel better.

8. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    $420 is actually the exact amount that was charged to my card after credits funny enough. Yea I’ll probably make some offers on a few on reverb just to see if anything sticks but I already have a carbon fiber control plate and hipshot tuners on the way so whichever route I go I’m ready to start modding lol

9. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    Same usually! They don’t carry Sterling so I ventured out and am it stoked about it lol.

Kukulkan61 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    yea you’re probably right. Guitar Center claims it was new and how they got it but I don’t believe them after hearing that this doesn’t seem to be a rare thing.

Kukulkan61 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    It’s 100 percent been sanded the finish is completely missing and feels like bare wood only in the sanded area. I can see the sanding marks on areas they didn’t get all the way through the finish as well.

Wood and Wire and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I recently ordered a used bass from GC advertised as great condition, the thing is mint to new condition so what does that tell you..

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    nothing, really.

i once did an hour in-store GC survey for a guy from corporate whose area of interest was improving the used sales section of the site and more. we both agreed that each GC store manager did their own thing with regard to quality rating, number of pictures, info given about each instrument and more, and that's been my experience. i got a used SR500 and my husband's used charvel desolation guitar in mint condition, but my used rockbass streamer was definitely not anywhere near mint. GC used prices, too, are all over the map.

14. AjCalderon

AjCalderon

May 21, 2020
    So sterling got back to me and said even the necks are way behind on production that my only course of correction is to replace the bass.

Guitar Center appears to have a daphne blue one in stock. Not my neck preference or color choice but thinking it might be better than living with a potentially damaged bass and just buy a second white one when they’re available in December

15. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    I like the blue better than white. Go for it.

pcake likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021