1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5, Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    I heard your clip it did sound good. However, I'm debating installing electronics worth as much as the husk!

2. You're right, but, at the same time, we're talking about a couple of allen keys. There are better battles to fight and use your time on.

A set of imperial and metric keys can be bought for not much cash, and then you're sorted for life.

SBMM likes this.
  3. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Yeah that comment was a few years ago. I'd forego the keys too.

#zombiepost

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I've been off the 5 string wagon but have some Christmas program songs that could use some lower notes. Got this off GC used. Showed up with a dead battery. Wonder if that's why it was so cheap. But seems to work and play fine now. 8.2lbs.

FullSizeRender.

5. This fella was waiting on me getting home from work yesterday :) The London music store Wunjo Bass ran a competition last month and mine was the lucky name out the hat. I'd forgot I'd entered so there was a very real chance the "You're a Winner" email could have been binned thinking it was junk mail :laugh: The Wunjo's folks had it to me in Scotland within 24 hours of alerting me :thumbsup:
    Sterling Sub.

Seems very churlish to me to go finding faults but can anyone offer some advice on balancing the output. The drop in volume going from E string to A is huge. I've dropped the pickup height on E/A side then I tried raising it to the limit in the hope the magnet pull would catch the E string and tame it some. No luck with either :(

Course it could just be the A,D & G strings are duff :unsure: Anyways any pointers would be welcome :)

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Man I Like That color :thumbsup:

7. I've an Indo one. Swapped the preamp for the Retrovibe Stinger and after six months...hmm. miss original bite. My original had the preamp overdrive issue. Presume you can't buy the later China preamp and wiring stuff?

Tempting to put the old preamp back in and upgrade the pickup but maybe it would be smarter to sell the bass and buy a new Chinese one!

8. cool breeze

cool breeze

May 13, 2016
    I put a GFS pickup in mine and it calmed the preamp down. With Rotosounds on it I'm happy. Lots of different opinions on these basses. You just need to find what works for you as I did.

9. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Did you go with alnico or ceramic?

10. cool breeze

cool breeze

May 13, 2016
    Alnico. Simple swap. They sell with the plug end but don't need it. I cut it off. Good customer experience as I emailed as to the wiring setup. Prompt response.

Goy77, twc1313 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Finished up the Christmas program last night. Been using the ray5 for a couple of weeks and it really delivers. Set up nice with a new set of fender 90505L's. Several people said the bass sounded excellent through the church PA. My only gripe is the volume knob which comes on instantly and goes from almost full to full. It also has some scratchiness but only when moving it while playing. So no swells. It's silent when not playing. It seems this is common and I ordered a pot to do the 25k mod. It's a keeper. Unbelievable to have an 8lb 5 string that sounds and plays this good for so little $.

Going to keep an eye out for one with rosewood board to refinish in nitro with matching headstock.

12. cool breeze

cool breeze

May 13, 2016
    Who did you order the 25 k pot from? Time to replace mine also. Thx.

13. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    cool breeze likes this.
  14. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    The medical outreach doctor videos our services so they can be sent out on dvd to bedridden patients that can't get out. They don't have internet or fancy home theater systems so it's mainly for them to hear the sermon on a cheap tv speaker but he says they like the music so we send the whole service. He mixes a room mic and a board feed with just vocal mics and sends it to the camera. I edit and burn the dvd's.

The choir did one of the Christmas program songs today. We don't normally post music for copyright reasons but surely a little snippet for educational purposes won't hurt anything. Last Sunday night we had strings, horns and a lot more people but I have to say, if the bass is not part of the board feed, it sounds pretty decent in the room, stingrayish even. Direct into cheap whirlwind DI, no effects except probably eq, high pass and compression at the board.

RyanJD and SBMM like this.
  15. wikowikowiko

wikowikowiko

Jul 1, 2008
    is there any way to read production date from the serial number of the instrument?

16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I called Sterling and they gave me the dates from my serial number

17. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Question: Has anyone tried a replacement/aftermarket pickguard? I'm thinking, again, about getting a SUB and I'm just curious if anyone has any experiences with this. I think a tort guard would look swell on a number of the SUB finishes.
    Here's a cheap one I pulled up on Amazon within a few seconds of searching:
    https://www.amazon.com/Musiclily-Pickguard-MusicMan-StingRay-Tortoise/dp/B076KD9Q8R?th=1
    For $10, I don't mind filing it down as much as I need to, but if the screw holes don't line up, then it's just a waste.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I just bought one of those from amazon but have not installed it yet. It seems to fit good around the pickup and the screw holes appear to line up. It does not fit around the neck without a bit of sanding or filing, but it doesn't look like it will take much work. See this post: "Bass Snob" buys a SBMM SUB Ray4

tim68 and RyanJD like this.
  19. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Nice! That looks really good. Thanks for the input.

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Just to clarify, I haven't installed it yet. Haven't had time to work on it.