1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5, Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I don't need a new bass.
    I definitely do not need a Stingray... I have a Stingray and a USA EBMM SUB.
    But... I *always* wanted one in red like that. Fortunately, the SBMM SUB has a slim neck, from what I hear, so that's a no for me. Otherwise it'd be hard to resist!

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Red basses have never appealed to me but this one is almost orange and I dig it. It will be very tempting to get some matching paint for the headstock but we'll see.

3. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I recently got a Sterling SUB Ray5 for a cheap backup bass. The thinner neck felt so good to me, and it sounded so gokd it has become my main bass. Has anyone played a higher end bass with a similar neck profile? I don't remember my old US Stingray5 neck feeling that thin.

4. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I just ordered a fiesta red 2018 Ray 4. Can't wait!

OldFunBass likes this.
  5. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    from where?

6. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Pitbull Audio thru Reverb. It's my second purchase with them directly and my 3rd total (bought a Ray34 from them through Amazon).

7. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    The picture in the listing was a 2017 model, but I confirmed it was a 2018 and I made sure it had the new headstock. If it doesn't....then it goes back.

8. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I'm on it now and only see the sunburst--i guess they only had one red one?

9. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Yeah it only said 1 available. Another thing I like about Pitbull Audio is they accept offers.

kkaarrll likes this.
  10. spatchthepunk

spatchthepunk

Jul 16, 2017
    Mpls MN
    E35EEEBD-376A-4FC4-8D59-0EA92B555462. 415DA385-DB76-4C8F-B6EB-F65654A094B3. 135369D8-55C7-449E-8BD1-FBD521220848. I’m a sucker for black basses with maple necks,the lefty ray4 goes in and out of stock all the time,Amazon had them in stock and sold through Gear Tree?,they showed that there was a newer model but not in stock,it showed up as the newest model,I got to play it at practice Saturday.I’m impressed the set up was good and not a flaw anywhere.The neck finish was a little rough so I hit it with a scotch brite pad. I love the neck profile and the pickup was nice and Barky.A real winner for $320 bucks.

mcnach, nutdog and kkaarrll like this.
  11. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    Beautiful bass, spatchthepunk. I ordered the same black/maple (right handed though) through GC. They won't be shipped until May 29.

spatchthepunk likes this.
  12. spatchthepunk

spatchthepunk

Jul 16, 2017
    Mpls MN
    Cool i don't think you will be disappointed.Being A lefty is tough,almost never any in stores to try and always limited color choices to order.The only thing i'm not real keen on is the strings, but that is understandable given the cost.I usually run 50 to 110 gauge and looking at the nut it might be a tight fit,not only am I cheap I don't have a lot of money:D so I'll keep these on for a while.

13. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Saratoga Springs NY
    55DC8AA5-49E5-469D-BC68-3786511591D7. Here’s my new sub with a Nordstrand MM 4.2 pickup and MM 2b pre amp along with hipshot tuners and DR sunbeams. It’s so good. And then there’s my new super lite rig, Genzler MG350 through two Mesa subway 1x12s. Truly amazing

nutdog and spatchthepunk like this.
  14. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    Cracker7, is that a Ray4 and where did you get it? I THOUGHT the Walnut Ray4 only came with the old headstock lettering (with "SUB" in big letters), based on what I see online at GC, which currently shows the Walnut, Satin Blue and Satin Black with the old lettering. But, if their photo is wrong and I can get the Satin Black with the new lettering I may switch my order.

15. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Saratoga Springs NY
    5D222CFD-FCF2-4CCB-8A20-45EBEE3F56FC.
    To my understanding, all the new ones being made now come with the new headstock. I got mine ordered through my local shop here in Clifton Park NY. GC probably just has left over stock. Hope that helps.
    Here’s my satin blue one also set up the same as the walnut. Only difference is one in standard and the other in drop d.

nutdog and spatchthepunk like this.
  16. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    After digging a little deeper I see that there are SUB Ray4's with a 41.3 mm nut and SUB Ray4's with a 38 mm nut. I give up trying to understand this.

17. blackest_frank

blackest_frank

Feb 1, 2013
    I have a Ray24 (mahogany body) in butterscotch showing up tomorrow. I already have big plans for changing out all the electronics.

18. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    NBD! Then :rage:.

Loved it for about 5 minutes, then noticed the cracked finish. Probably damaged in transit. I'll get it replaced.

bass 1.

bass 2.

19. spatchthepunk

spatchthepunk

Jul 16, 2017
    Mpls MN
    Sorry to see this,there is not a lot of excess packaging on these things.

20. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a fiesta red one arriving on Friday. I hope mine fairs better.