1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by Music Man?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Just saw the new "Sterling by Music Man" line of guitars and basses on MF website. What do any of you know about these? Anybody seen or played one yet? Where are they being made? Any opinion? Discuss.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    El Searcho.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Plus Uno.

This has been exhaustively discussed here and on the EBMM forums.

4. Why are they so cheap?! I want a sterling.
    Was never a fan of em or sting rays or out like that,

But i have got into James (80's-now band from England) Jim Glennie is the bassist, he uses them with an SVT Classic head and 8x10 cab, Now i want one :)

5. I think that those Sterling basses are the big reason for Musicman Co. to not give the license again to the OLP Co.:D
    They want to have their own "cheap model" of the Stingray, (cheap, yeah right) and with the OLP MM2 basses in the market they will loose the battle. OLP basses are not a real Stingray but with a good preamp and good setting they can give you a exellent sound like the real MM and you will not have to spend $649.00 or $1500 like the Sterling or the real Stingray will cost.

My example: I own an OLP MM2 natural, cost $200, I put a John East preamp, cost $235. I spend $435.00 and the results are beautiful. I like to watch the face of my frieds that have the real Stingrays (that I like too) when we play together in the same gigs. They told me that they feel terrible because they spend like $1,400 in their basses. To summary my opinion, Sterling is a lot of money for just a bass that is not a real Musicman. Just my opinion.

6. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  7. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Ohh there's a catch my friend...it's a bit confusing, but bear with me. See, they're not the original MM Sterling bass. They're simply like a cheaper version for those who cannot afford the higher-end MM basses. Why they decided to name them "Sterling" knowing that they already have a bass with said name, I don't know...

All in all, Sterling is to MusicMan as Epiphone is to Gibson :D

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Unless you were at NAMM in January, know one has played them yet. That's because they don't start shipping from the factory until the end of this week, April 10, 2009.

The first shipments should hit the stores within a couple of weeks.

As for where they're made. They are made by the Park family in Korea. The reports from NAMM were that the overall quality, fit, finish and electronics are excellent which means they're heads and tails above and beyond what OLP made.

There are a lot fewer choices in colors than MusicMan has to offer, but that's ok. More colors can be added later on if necessary. Sterling Ball said that he did not want to use his name for these, but he was out numbered in the end.

TD

9. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    And where did you try one to come up with this "informed" opinion?

I tried them at NAMM.

Jim

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I can't decide whether you just missed the analogy or are trying to be insulted by his innocent comment.

11. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I don't think it was a reference to the quality, but to the nature of the company.

Gibson manufactures the majority of their lower priced instruments under the name of Epiphone.

Musicman now does the same under the name Sterling.

The notion that Sterling products are equal in quality to Epiphone products was not intended (I believe).

12. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    Sorry, i own an olp mm2 too and chenged the pickup and put a preamp.
    Result: cheap good sounding bass

Honestly, sting ray is WAY better than my olp in many aspects, the tone is ridiculously different and i regret so much spending $250+ on a cheap bass that did not give the return i expected.
    Would be 5 times more compensatiove to buy 2 rondo basses and modify them.

My olp doesn't sound like crap but is far away from a real stingray...

And about the sterling by eb basses, the only thing that i saw that was different from the real eb mm basses is that the body is swamp ash and not ash, and they don't have the option of maple fretboards... They swear that the eletronics are the same, dunno....

13. Same.

14. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Huh? Maybe just dumb or being cantankerous today.

Anyhow a proper analogy testing budget import line to USA line is to compare G&L Tribute to USA G&L.

Jim

15. I think, rather than getting too into the nitty gritty, he was just posting the analogy for comparison sake, i.e. Squier is to Fender as Epiphone is to Gibson or Tribute is to G&L, etc.

16. NOt to ofend you bro!!, but not all the OLP's have the same sound, thats the big difference between your bass and my bass. (especially a lot, lot of people said than the natural and maple fretboards OLPs sound a lot better than the others. (thats my) The first time that I tryed an OLP I used three of them and I founded that sounds different one to the other. You had bad luck, my story is different:D Like I said the OLP is not a musicman but I can reproduce the sound of a Stingray and it tested by some of my friends. One of them have a Stingray 5, the other have the 4 strings version (Off course, like I said my bass have modifications)......Anyvway, everybody have their opinion and I respect your but when you have guys that have their original Stingrays and play with you with the same settings together and the sound guy said than your bass sounds better.......ummmmmm,,,,I don't know, maybe my bass is an allien:p

17. The Ray34 and Ray35 (ie, 4-string and 5-string Stingrays) offer maple fingerboards, but not the SB14 (Sterling). And yep, supposedly the electronics are the same. They're the same as the corresponding US instruments in their chief competition (Lakland 44/55-02, G&L Tribute) so it'd make sense for EB's offshore basses to do the same.

18. Musicians Friends will have thier available on April, 10!!!!! Take advantage of their 45 days policy and try one!!!

19. I would say that Tribute is the same to G&L as Epiphone is to Gibson so you are saying the same thing.

Bottom line is Sterling is the name of their budget import line.

20. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Yes, as several are saying, I simply meant that the Sterling Series would be the lower-priced versions of the higher-end Music Man basses. Sorry to spark any confusion :meh:

But yeah what'd you think of those? Been dying to get my hands on one :bassist: