1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by MusicMan Ray 34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OutToPlayJazz, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

Well, a bit of an impulse purchase at Electro Music in Doncaster here in the UK today. Happened on one of the new Sterling Ray 34's in a fetching solid black, just delivered to the shop a day earlier. Very nice bass, excellent Indonesian construction and quality control. It plays and sounds just like the American bass. Changed over the Ernie Ball (not very) slinkys & put on some DR Sunbeam 45's. Too heavy for me, but they'll do until I can get some lighter fatbeams on there. Also reset the neck with just the slightest hint of relief, so it's very fast and playable now (apart from the barge rope strings!) Preamp is epic with massive highs and lows. Best Ray of any kind I've played in a long time! Very very impressed!

006-3.jpg
    007-3.jpg
    008-1.jpg
    009-4.jpg
    010-4.jpg
    011-4.jpg

2. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    very nice. I played both the Ray and the SB14 and I was really impressed. I loved how the neck isnt gloss except for the back of the headstock. (I've done it to just about all my basses.) Looking to add a MM to my arsenal so I'll be saving up. I'm a die hard P-Bass guy but its coming to the point where it's not the right tone for some of my bands music. After playing some songs of mine on both Sterling basses through my rig I'm quite convinced. I'll probably go for the 'burst Ray. But anyways great pickup man.

3. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    The Ray34 is a nice addition to a P bass, and lets you cover a large variety of sounds.

I'm surprised the Ray34/35 and SB14 haven't taken off more. They are really great basses and not that far away from the US models. Maybe the price is keeping it just out of reach for a lot of the beginning bass players. But I would hardly classify the Sterling series basses as beginner only.

Attached Files:

4. I agree. I have the so-called "real" Stingray, but would not have hesitated to buy the Indonesian Ray sight unseen; after 40+ years, I am not a beginner. Having suffered through several sub-par P and Js in the 70s (all of which would be worth a fortune now, even if the ones I had were considered crap then), I have an appreciation for the better made imports. IMHO, QC is so much better today than even ten years ago.

5. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Very nice, if its not too rude a question....how much? :)

6. Full retail is £599 on these. Cheapest I've seen on the web is £519. I got mine at a trade discount for £470.

7. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Well done! I have seen them at over £600 on Ebay...nobody bought them but they were there, at £470 it seem like a great purchase.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I`ve played two Ray 34`s over the past few weeks and no lie, I think they are better than my EBMM StingRay! Help!!

9. I know what you mean... The last few brand new Stingray 3eq models I've played in stores have all been dogs with a very dull sound and low output. The neck finishing hasn't been great, either. Only one I fell in love with was a brand new out of the box 2eq in black with matching black headstock (basically like mine!) The 2eq sounded totally different.

The Sterling by MM bass seems to have crystal clear highs and deep punching lows. I don't know what's different on these, but the quality control and sound is stunning.

10. agplate

agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    Arizona
    If you want a Stingray without the infamous "dead spot", the SBMM is for you.

11. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    I have never been the hugest fan of active basses in general, but I played one of these at my work and I actually thought about getting it. I found the high end a little too bright, but I play with either half rounds or flats, so I think that those strings will help tame it. Or, I could just roll the treble down. I am not sure how it will fit with my other basses, but it may be in my stable soon enough.