1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by Musicman S.u.b. SB4 short review.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juiceboxx, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Juiceboxx

Juiceboxx

Jul 15, 2012
    Well, I have been wanting to get into the stingray market for some time now, but I just wasn't ready to drop upwards of a thousand dollars on a bass that I wasn't sure if I'd like. So I decided to grab one of these low cost wonders.

I was at first curious about build construction and quality assurance with this bass being made in Indonesia, and boy was that a waste of effort, everything is well placed, my potentiometers are all solid and correctly installed, and all finishes and surfaces are flawless. I can't speak for action or setup, because I got this chick from Guitar Center and the awesome guys here at my Lansing store do a number on all of the instruments (I will be shopping there again) and my action was set expertly.

The neck on her is buttery smooth and the satin feels great, only made better by the neck profile, which I could say is a comfy U shape. Now, the electronics, Oh man, the electronics; these things are mean, unbelievable how growly this thing is, while remaining super quiet.

All in all, this bass is worth every penny spent and more, this is quality that one would see in 600$ ibanez or fender guitars. Im stunned. Ill probably move a little further down the musicman rabbit hole thanks to this bass. Dont doubt this one because of its price, it is a MONSTER!

P.s. if I get to a p.c. soon I'll attach a photo. My phone won't let me, for reference I bought the black SB4 from guitar center.

2. Buzter

Buzter

Oct 23, 2009
    I went to get one today. They were out. GRRRRRR. I might just hold out and get an sb14. It might be nice to have that little switch for parallel, series and single coil. Although the wiring on the sb4 is how I would keep it most of the time anyway. Grrrr.

3. Juiceboxx

Juiceboxx

Jul 15, 2012
    Hold out for the SB4, you'll thanks yourself later. :)

4. djmex1000

djmex1000

Jul 13, 2008
    I just ordered the sb4 (black/maple neck). Haven't played one but I A/B'd the SB14 and Ray 5 against US MM's when they first came out and I was so impressed with the quality - actually preferred the Sterling line over the American's, and I played 6 or 7 American ones. The American basses really varied, but each one of the Sterling line were perfect and fun to play. I'm hoping for similar quality on the S.U.B. line - if it is I'll be stoked because I paid $199 to get it shipped to my door. So far 99% of the reviews have been excellent. First foray into the MM rabbit hole, was going to buy a cheap Mexican Jazz until I saw these, and then found one at a bargain basement price. Hope Sterling introduce the color variations they did on the SB14/Ray line.