1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by MusicMan SUB Ray4..........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by samlloyd1976, Oct 21, 2013.

1. I bought the Ray4 Black off eBay BNIB for AU$459. Arrived this week, and I must say I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be.

The maple has a nice subtle tint, not that cheap nasty bleached look. Setup out of the box was pretty much spot on, haven't bothered fooling around with pickup height or intonation - don't need to. Love the action, LOVE the tone - I much prefer the 2-band EQ to the 3, so short of spending AU$3K+ on a Classic (which I will do one day BTW) this was a great option.

Took a few hours to get used to after playing fretless for nigh on 20 years, but it was like a duck to water. Very easy to play this bass - the narrow neck helped with this as it's what I'm used to - plus with the satin finish on the neck I got up to speed in no time.

I've always loved Stingrays and they've always been out of my league $-wise, so when I discovered these I was sold in a heartbeat. You really do get a tone that's as close to that classic Ray tone as you need without spending four figures.

Would definitely recommend this to anyone who a) needs a second or backup gig basher, b) wants to experiment with Stingrays without the cash outlay or c) loves Stingrays but can't afford them (like me).

PS I am not a marketing official, I'm just stoked that after buying my first new bass since I was 17 I'm so happy with it :hyper: and I just had to share the love :p

PPS can't post pics - spent my money on the SUB Ray :bag:

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    No pics? No bass! (and grats)