Sterling face lift..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by popinfresh, Dec 25, 2004.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, santa gave me some bonus money for christmas, so i've decided to look at some pickup configurations. First pickup, is the MM to change. I'm looking at Nordstrands atm. I want something with good smooth lows and lots of punch, yet can have good attack. Sound good?

Next is, i'm looking to add a neck pickup to the Sterling. First pup i've been looking at is a Dimarzio Will Power neck, I like sheehans tone for one, and think it could be cool. The only thing is, can these will powers get grindy and agressive as well? Other things i was looking at were more vintage style J pups.. Just something with some bit and attack.

This is where some suggestions would be good. If the Nordstrand fits the bill, then i'd like a neck pickup to give some attack, grinding, bite. Yet not too much, so it's smooth enough to complement the MM (hence thinking sheehans tone). Also, the will power pickup will fit fine, yes?

Next thing is switches/pots. I've recently bought an Aguilar OBP-3, but havn't put it in yet (This, i suppose, could also affect pickup choice?). What i'm looking to have, is the 3 way coil switch for the MM pup, a 3 way coil switch for the Dimarzio, if that's possible (Or tone pot for a Jazz) and then a pan pot for both pickups (Or would a switch that goes bridge, bridge/neck, neck be better?)

Thanks for any help. I did search around and read through the MM threads, but none were specific enough really.

Also, if it helps, the sterlings got a rosewood fretboard, i play in a kind of old school hard rock band with a bit of blues influence and right now run through a 15" and 2x10" (which will soon be either 4x12/2x10 or 2x12/4x10 with a GK 1001)

Long thread, yes. But hopefully you can help. Thanks :)
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I would consider just changing the existing MM pickup first by itself. That alone may give you what you are looking for. Change one thing at a time so you can evaluate each change by itself.

I'd emailed Carey Nordstrand (You might do that yourself. He's a nice guy and quite helpful.) about doing the same thing with the MM pup and an Aggie preamp and he told me that the problem is that the MM preamp has a built-in load for when the pickup is in series so that the volume levels are constant when you move the pickup switch. Again; email Carey about your ides and see what he has to say.

By the way, I have Carey's pickups in my Jazz bass and they are great.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i emailed him a few days ago (just before i made this thread) and he hasn't emailed back. I will be putting in a new MM pup first, then the neck pickup if it seems a good idea.

Say i do put a Dimarzio Will Power neck in, what sort of sound would i be getting with that plus a sterling.. andyone know? Or a vintage J pup..